1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A garden pest post

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Apr 21, 2011.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I have realised for some time that something is eating the leaves of my lovely bay tree, but it wasn't until just now when I had my glasses on that I realised how bad the problem actually is. The branches are plastered with little flat beetle-like insects, and I mean, really plastered. They are about 3mm long and don't actually seem to move, thank goodness!
    I suppose I will have to buy some kind of insect killer from the garden centre but I hate using insecticides and wonder if I may have left it too late. Any ideas please?

2. Take an empty squooshy bottle, you know - the kind that has cleaning products in them, make sure it is rinsed out thoroughly. Put a drop of washing up liquid in and top up with water. Go out and blast the pests. This only works by direct contact so make sure you hit the beasties, don't just vaguely spray in the general direction of the bay.
    When you have done that, take a large empty pop bottle, put 4/5 garlic cloves in it and top up with water. Place on sunny windowsill for 2 weeks or so. Strain into empty squooshy bottle and blast pests with it. Garden smells a trifle garlicky but the smell does dissipate!
    Note: you will undoubtedly have to repeat the spraying on a daily basis until the pests have gone. Probably 4/5 days.
    Both washing up liquid and garlic sprays are excellent against aphids

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

If the infestaion hasn't spread too much you can pick off infected leaves by hand - otherwise it probably means an insecticide, I'm afraid. The pests could be bay leaf suckers or scale insects. Alternatively - if the leaves are mostly still healthy (not curling or turning yellow/brown) your insects may not be damaging the tree. You could leave them for the birds to pick off or give them a squirt of washing up liquid?
    I thought my lovely bay was suffering last year - picked off an awful lot of dead and infected leaves. But it has sprung back in majestic form this season. [​IMG]

4. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Thanks to you all. Bauble, I used your link and it does appear to be bay leaf suckers. Sadly, very infected and it is a large tree, but I think I will go with the washing up liquid and garlic infusion first and then maybe go onto an insecticide later if that doesn't work. Better get out the ladder. Just glad it isn't caterpillars like my patio rose had last year. Ugh!