1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A futureologist's forecast

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34464133

"Pupils should be prepared for a world that could see them taking up 40 different jobs before reaching the age of 100, a futurologist has said."

What might we learn from this other than gratitude that our education occurred a long time ago?

The futurologist has clearly been talking to that idiot Iain Duncan Smith if he thinks people aged 100 are capable of employment.

Are there 40 different jobs that are so appalling you'd never spend more than two years doing, or is he predicting things will become even worse than they are now?

Edit: What is a futurologist? Do they earn their living by having their palms crossed with silver and gazing into crystal balls?

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

How do we know that people won't be able to work at the age of 100? Retirement is getting later and later, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility, that that will be the case in the future.

Jobs might just continue to disappear as technology advances, as they have been doing for some years. People will have to be flexible and adapt to changing circumstances. It started some time ago!

My dad was an engineer and stayed an engineer all his working life. I was a teacher for the same time. Won't happen these days, or at least, very little and rarely!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

My mother was able to retire at 60. She still had time and energy to enjoy the rest of her life. I'm nearly 60 and I'm knackered. I'd love to be able to retire next year, instead of clinging miserably on for another 7.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We learn that, unless we pay into a private pension, we will be working well into our ninth decade.

We learn that job roles will disappear.

We learn that some people are able to make money for idle speculation. Also known as 'old rope'.

Noja likes this.
  5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Mr Talwar advocates multiple intelligences (remember VAK). I feel quite faint.

TES 7.10.15 "Independent schools have been advised to revamp their teaching to accommodate pupils’ “multiple intelligences”, kinaesthetic learning, and an unpredictable job market with roles that may not yet exist.

The recommendations come from Rohit Talwar, a futurist and business consultant, who addressed the annual meeting of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC) in St Andrews this afternoon..."

Back in the '80s Toyah was a futurist: it's a mystery to me too.
    [​IMG]

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Xena, that is very sad, get out whilst you can, you may not reach 67 if you are "clinging miserably on for another 7".
    Life is for living.

7. xena-warrior

I only work three days a week! Ignore my self-pitying whining! I am interested though in why women - that's ALL women - are now considered to be made of so much sterner stuff than the previous generation who lived through a war and a depression. Seven years of sodding menopause has taken it out of me, I can tell you!

8. xena-warrior

And as for Toyah - she looked like a demented parrot in the 80, not futuristic.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So he got paid good(?) money (by intelligent? people)to say
    -- the job market was unpredictable
    - there will be new jobs which don't yet exist
    - there's different ways if being clever ( multiple intelligences -bet he's never actually read the original stuff on this)

No sh t sherlock

I've been

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Could it just be a case of "the willing horse"?

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Forty jobs by the age of 100!
    I'd had at least forty jobs by the time I was twenty.

I don't think I've ever stuck at any job for longer than three months except once when I managed six months working nights on my own.

It was always start the job, do a day or half a day or half an hour, sometimes arrive, see the building and go home and get another B1.

I've managed five and a half years of self employment but it's because I'm always on my own.

School, work, going out: I quit them all because it involves people. And you know what people are! Problems, that's what they are.

I coped with uni and teacher training by self medication and living alone: just attend the lectures and clear off home or to the pub.

Why mix with people when you could be happy?

Or, as Mrs Winterson said to Jeanette "Why be happy when you could be normal?"

kibosh and Duke of York like this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

For a "futurologist" Mr Talwar seems pretty rooted in the present and the past. He thinks that the future means Uber, Apps and Amazon, all of which are just as likely to be unheard of in 50 years, and a free access world wide web may by then just be an odd story told by grandparents about their weird childhood.

Mr Talwar also seems to think that in the next 10 to 20 years, 30-80% of jobs will disappear "as businesses increasingly invest in automation" This seems true ivory tower thinking about the pace of change, I mean most businesses and public services are just getting around to upgrading from windows XP:rolleyes:

And of course automation does not fix trains, planes or automobiles; nor does it build houses, fix leaky pipes, drive lorries, shoot pests or fix teeth, or do many thousands of other things. A slightly badly coded cyber-professor to automatically nag people about imminent doom is always a possibility though.:p

kibosh and Duke of York like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I would ask you to reconsider this part of your post, but I liked your thinking in most of it.

We already have computerised diagnostics to identify faulty components in cars and I'd imagine that trains and planes are no different. If robots can build cars, they can also un-build them and re-build them. Automated repairs of vehicles isn't beyond anyone's imagination, it's just a question of when the investment in the technology to do it, falls to a level that makes it a viable business proposition. You can be sure that it's being thought about.

I posted a number of videos on the D&T forum that showed how automated technology was being tried out to build houses. One I remember used robots to pre-fabricate brick-built walls and another used a massive 3D printer to
    construct concrete houses. A further article was about the production of pre-fabricated homes in factories where the purchaser could specify exactly what it should be like down to where the electricity sockets should be. This is already being done and I can see no obvious reason that would prevent the fabricated parts being clipped together by robots.

As for driving trucks, what would stop the technology that is being used to produce driverless cars being extended to any vehicle? Are driverless forklift trucks to load and unload them beyond our imagination? There are automated warehouses already using this technology.

It's only a matter of time before the technology arrives to ensure pipes never ever leak. We can't tell what it might be that inspires this, but necessity is the mother of invention. Maybe it will take a significant disaster or maybe it will take the finding of a solution to a problem that leaking pipes would cause space exploration to have. Nobody can tell exactly what it is that prompts progress until it happens, but I wouldn't tell my grandchildren they'd be assured of a job for life if they trained to be a plumber.

I agree with you though that Mr Talwar is probably talking out of his rectum just as much as those who predicted what the future might hold for us in the days when Tomorrow's World was being broadcast. Wasn't there speculation during my youth that by the turn of the century, we'd be taking to the skies by personal jet packs and flying cars? Actually those things now do exist, but we're still light years away from their being a viable alternative to commuting by train or car.

As an observer on technology and its use, were they to put me in charge of its direction, I think I'd first focus my attention on flying cyclists, since this would not only reduce the risk of their being killed by their idiocy on the roads, it would make driving more less tedious by reducing the stress in trying to avoid them.

colpee likes this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I can't deny that the possibility of the things you mention D.O.Y., I guess I was considering probability in the context and timeline of the article. Whilst I can imagine the necessity of explaining the social media fad or internet to children in the 2080s, I do think they will still be perfectly familiar with the sight of a brickie, mechanic or soldier.
    And I suppose, if one were to be really futuristic, one need not see lack of directed employment a threat per se. If the production of food, clothing and shelter were so automated as to cost virtually nothing or be provided free, the question would turn to how to use the time freed up by not grafting too hard to attain them. Then perhaps we could all take to air on our bicycles!

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I have done that many different jobs through an agency when a student (odd days here and there to work around my part time job commitments during holidays) that I am well over halfway to the 40 mark myself!
    A big part of the 'many jobs' idea is that the good old days of a 'job for life' are long gone. While no doubt there will always still be some people that start a job after graduation and stay there until they retire, several different careers is the reality already for a majority.
    I personally for-see a future as well where working becomes flexible to the point where if you need extra money, you can go online, browse a website or an app that lists companies needing extra staff there and then even if you have no experience, even if it is just for one shift. And instead of 'requesting' references, people carry around an electronic file of all references which becomes standard so you can't just turn up at a shift and not work!