1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A full first week back.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. I'm wracking my brain and can't remember (in a long-ish teaching career) another year when the pupils have had a full school week as their first week back after the summer. Our training days are Thurs and Fri so it is going to be a long first week bak.
    I'm looking forward to it as it means longer spent with your class getting to know each other and reinforcing how you want things to be before the first weekend.
    On the other hand, I think that my own children are going to find it a long and tiring week after over 6 weeks off.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo that does sound hard. We go back on Monday (5th), but the children aren't in until next Wednesday.

3. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning on getting on with normal lessons pretty much straight away so am hoping that by the end of the week, I'll have them in some sort of routine. I think we'll all be shattered by the Friday. At least a full week means I'll get my PPA!

4. Same here!
    My current plan is to spend Monday sorting out belongings, jobs, books etc etc... getting the 'stuff' done. Then Tuesday getting started with lessons- think they will be fairly shattered by Friday, as will I !

5. I get my PPA on a Monday and am torn as to whether to still have it on the first day I have the kids.

6. We have inset on Friday, kids back Monday. I am going to start normal lessons straight away, will go over rules etc on Monday but other than that will be straight into it. (Y4/5)

7. Lucky you! We don't get ours and we are back for a whole week as well. We technically get PPA during our 2nd inset (this Friday) so balances out but I would love half a day out as I know I will be shattered by the end of the week.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

why aren't you getting PPA?

9. How do they swing it that you get the following week's PPA on a training day that was already booked as a training day - or is it more complicated than that? And what does the person who covers the PPA do in that first week?
    In one school I worked in, the PPA teachers got the first week to themselves to plan for the term while none of the teachers got PPA that week. On a shorter week where you have had a couple of training days (as long as that included classroom time) then I didn't mind so much, but on a full week I would have been cross.