1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

A Foodie Wedding

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon3372, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Egyptgirl is getting married in 3 days time.
    If I am correct, this is our first Cookery forum wedding.
    So, egyptgirl...we want details!
    Piccies...
    Menu...
    Honeymoon venue (when you actually know where you are off to or have been...)
    Dress details...
    Ring details...
    How did he propose...
    Will you be vowing to obey...
    Far more exciting than Will and Kate.
    And we will definitely need a paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty...[​IMG]

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I''d be lying if I said I was interested in the dress/rings/shoes/bridesmaid's corsage etc., and my wife would probably start to worry if I was (given that I didn't take that much interest in these details for my own wedding!), but yes let us know the other stuff!
    But, in case you drop off the forum radar over the next few days with the planning of it all, I'd like to wish you good luck and congratulations now, whilst you're still about.
    It'll be the best day of your life - it certainly has been for me so far (possibly about to be eclipsed or at least equalled by a certain forthcoming event!).
    Hope you and Mr EG have a great day and fantastic rest of your lives together!

3. Oh yes [​IMG]
    Details later. Just enjoy for now.

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh my goodness - just 3 days (2 now!!) to go.
    How exciting! It will be THE best day of your life. Hope you're managing to enjoy the build up to the big day.
    You're such a lovely girl and you deserve all the happiness and joy in the world.
    x

5. .......and I wish you all the happiness and joy in the world too.
    When you have the time dear EG, tell us all. I think it is very exciting!
    Love to you both
    C xx [​IMG]

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Same from me EG, Mashallah

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Every blessing egyptgirl!
    I'm waiting for loads of details and photos!

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Have a great day, Egyptgirl! We'll share a memorable date. My wedding wasn't the best day of my life, more a formality as we'd been living together for seven years and had two children but yours sounds to be quite an event.
    I wish you much happiness and a long life together. [​IMG]

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Thank you so much to everyone on here for your good wishes. I cannot believe this is the first cookery forum wedding! You want details, huh? Well, if you insist...
    OK, so its not going to be a church wedding. My Mum is a Muslim and so are half of my relatives. I would feel uncomfortable making them go into a church to attend my wedding. Mr EG was a bit disappointed as he really wanted to get married in a church but he knew how important it was to me.
    He proposed in November 2009. He took me on a very surprise trip to see the Northern Lights. My Dad had told me about them when I was a little girl and I'd always wanted to see them since. After we'd seen them and were walking back to our accomodation, he stopped me, got down on one knee, pulled me down to sit on his bended knee and proposed.
    Some of you may remember that I went to Paris last year (when I had my broken leg) with my Mum and my lovely Mum-in-Law to be to get a wedding dress. That dress was gorgeous but I unfortunately lost huge amounts of weight after Christmas due to a bit of a health problem. I had the dress altered but it looked awful so I decided not to wear it. I found one in a vintage shop in Camden in early February (when I wasn't looking!) for £25. I've had it altered slightly and I love it. Its very similar to this:

The ring is a platinum band with a diamond in the centre with two small sapphires either side. The stones come from his late Grandmother's ring. My wedding ring is going to be a platinum band with diamonds set into the band. Its been made by a friend of his from school who is a jeweller. Mr EG is also going to have a platinum band but its just going to be plain.
    I will not be vowing to obey - for us, its just not something we believe in.
    No idea where we are going on honeymoon. I'll let you know when we get back!
    Now the food bit! Cocktails on arrival. I'm lucky as one of my best friends is an experienced cocktail maker - she actually recently got a job as a bar manager at the venue where we're getting married! We spend a whole day last summer devising the cocktails (hard work!) getting quite drunk in the process. Peach mojitos, our version of zince bar punch, strawberry and raspberry/loganberry bellinis (puree is already in the freezer) and her version of 'The Homewood'. We created a recipe for limeade and iced cardamom coffee for non-alcohol drinkers.
    To start with, we're going to have a Greek/Egyptian type Mezze so that everyone can just dive in and be a bit sociable with the food. We've got members from both sides of the family at every table so we just want them to talk to each other and I've never seen anyone eating Mezze in silence (although this could be the first time!)!
    There will be Dukkau, dipping oil and flatbreads at every table. For the main course, its going to be a selection of marinated meats, fish and seafood being cooked outside on a huge grill they have there and there's also a pizza oven which will be used primarily for cooking flatbreads through the day but also for creating pizzas for the veggie guests. There will be a huge array of salads to go with everything.
    For dessert/pudding/whichever other name you want to give it, there is going to be a selection of ice creams, trifles, deep fried dough balls soaked in infused syrups, panna cottas, key lime pie, lemon meringue pie and a huge cheese board.
    I'm making the cake myself and so far I am very pleased with it. Its got 4 tiers. A traditional fruitcake as the base, then a victoria sponge, then a rich chocolate fudge cake layer and then a syrup infused halva layer with crystallised rose petals and a Mr and Mrs EG which I have moulded from marzipan myself (it was a labour of love!).
    In the evening, there will be more mezze layed out on a table in a buffet style fashion in case anyone is hungry again! I expect a lot of laughter and dancing!
    Other than that, the only things I would really like there are my Dad, my brother and my uncle who have all sadly departed this world.
    So, that (in a nutshell) is my wedding!

10. Wishing you the most amazing wedding, egyptgirl. It all sounds totally fabulous! Thanks for all the details re the engagement, rings, wedding food etc.
    Congratulations [​IMG]

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

Hope you have a fabulous day.
    H
    xx

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It sounds amazing Egyptgirl, hope you have a wonderful, lovely day and live happily everafter.

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Wishing you both every happiness, EG x

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Thank you for all of your messages - this little forum tucked away in the corner of TES is a wonderful little haven. Your messages and good wishes really mean so much. When I first read this thread on the train to work this morning, I was tearing up a little bit - and I'm not someone who cries all that easily!
    I just remembered one more thing - Monopoly crackers! We're having Monopoly crackers, which I'm excited about!

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That all sounds wonderful EG. I hope you have a fabulous day. Your guests must be very excited about it!
    What are those?

16. Wow, EG, that all sounds fantastic. Hope you have a brilliant day.
    I'm also curious as to what Monopoly crackers are.

17. And frugal too [​IMG]

Have a lovely day, EG. It sounds like fun...

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds ab fab EG.
    Have a great day!
    [​IMG]
    xxx

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Perfect weather for a wedding! [​IMG]

20. Have a totally fabulous day, the weather is glorious!