1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A few quick questions...

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by petitshorty, May 27, 2011.

1. Hiya!
    I've been accIpted to do my PGDE Primary at Glasgow so it's not exactly the same as you but i figure that any advice is better than none.....i can give a bit of advice on 1 and 3 at least!

I helped out in a school twice a week, just for an hour and a half each time - any chance your work will let you take an extended lunch break a couple of days a week and work an hour late to compensate? that's what my work did anyway. I also helped out at Rainbows once a week - maybe doing Scouts or something like that would help? at least that's outwith work hours anyway, and any experience with kids is better than none.

As far as a loan goes, i guess as always it depends on your circumstances - i assume from your name that you're scottish (and a Celtic fan, but i'll let that slide :) so have a look on the saas website - there's a table that shows what you could be entitled to - i think the maximum (loan plus bursary) is around £6200.

Good Luck!

2. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

I was in the same position as you this time last year - I'll be starting Modern Studies in August. So, in answer to your points...
    I was in the same situation (still am until July!) so my classroom experience didn't amount to anything more than a couple of days in August at a local secondary school. However, I've had more exposure through being a councillor to the theory of education (I'm on the education committee) and with my wife, mum, auntie, uncle,.... all being teachers I think this helped.
    If you've had a thought about which university you're applying for (and for Modern Studies it's only Glasgow, Strathclyde & Aberdeen) then it's worth getting in touch with them to have a chat about what they're looking for.
    Yes you can - I applied for both at Strathclyde. However, remember that the universities only assess your application one at a time, so if you don't get through the first one then it's only then that the next gets to look at it. For what it's worth, Strathclyde Modern Studies had their interviews at the beginning of December 2010 (the day of the really bad snow - 5 hours to get to Glasgow from Fife!) and I got my offer on Christmas Eve.
    They didn't allow us to apply for dual qualification this year, but this has happened in the past so keep an eye out for it too.
    Yes, and normally fees too.