1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A few questions relating to the Curriculum that confuse the sh*t out of me.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kevinjames12, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    As a relatively newly qualified teacher I am confused by lots of things. Firstly, can anyone tell me the difference between the QCA documents and the NC? I hear people say the QCA docs are out of date but then it's conflicting as they also tell you the objectives that the children should be convering. All the NC says is the areas that the kids should be doing.(Sorry if this is a lame question!).
    Also, is ICT a core subject now or not? First it was, now it's not. The same with science. And the New Curriculum, when is this coming out?
    I really could do with a website address that I can keep up-to-date with everything that is going on. Is there such a site?
    Thanks guys,
    Kev

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

The NC is compulsory whereas the QCA's are suggestion. They are both out of date to be honest. The objectives in the NC are the only things you have to teach - the QCA documents were merely suggestions on how to do that. Primary curriculum I think is being trialled next September for implementation in 2013 although I may be wrong.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

QCA is a recommendation on how to teach the NC objectives - based on different units. Was taken as gospel for a while but stifled links between subjects as part of a topic / creative curriculum.
    I've been teaching for 12 years - even I get confused by what's happening so don't worry.

4. As above, the NC is a legal document that you must teach.
    However, the Lit/Num aspects of it have been put together into the Primary Frameworks for Literacy and Numeracy so if your school follows this you are already teaching the NC objectives. These frameworks are not a legal requirement though, they just organise the objectives for you.
    QCA schemes of work are redundant, old and dull as dishwater for the most part - though they can be a good starting point.
    Literacy and Numeracy are 'core'. Science is sort of secondarily 'core'. ICT has never been core (the previous government were going to make it core but didnt get chance) but it does have a large emphasis these days - though it is more about making use of ICT to support learning in the other areas, where appropriate.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

On a technicality, Literacy and Numeracy do not exist in the National Curriculum.
    There are three core subjects, with equal footing in law: Maths, English & Science.

6. Your question is fully valid and this is the perfect place to have it answered but I am suprprised that your University aren't covering this in the basics, actually no I am not, am curious what the Universities do cover!

7. The National Curriculum is statutory and so is a legal requirement. Almost everything else, is not. QCA, Primary Strategies, etc. are all optional.