1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A few questions about teething!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by blueone, Jan 31, 2011.

1. blueone

blueone New commenter

Im pretty sure my 4 month old is teething. His fingers are constantly in his mouth and he is dribbling constantly. There are a few other things going on too that im not sure if it is teething related or otherwise and wondered if you could help me.
    Firstly, he is contantly grabbing his left ear and rubbing his cheek. I know this can be a sign of an ear infection but he doesnt seem to be upset and isnt crying a lot, is it his teeth?
    Secondly, he seems like he has a cold, but hasnt (if you know what i mean) His sinuses are awful! He sounds really snotty, yet there is no snot in sight. Last night was particulalry bad and he was coughing and spluttering all night. I thought he had a cold but today he has been fine, all smiley and happy. He has been sneezing quite a lot too.
    Lastly his sleeping has been very disturbed. He hasnt been waking but has been groaning, moving, rubbing his face etc.. for hours during the night. he isnt hungry because he doesnt wake up looking for food, just very noisey!
    So what do you think? Were/are yours the same?

2. blueone

blueone New commenter

Im pretty sure my 4 month old is teething. His fingers are constantly in his mouth and he is dribbling constantly. There are a few other things going on too that im not sure if it is teething related or otherwise and wondered if you could help me.
    Firstly, he is contantly grabbing his left ear and rubbing his cheek. I know this can be a sign of an ear infection but he doesnt seem to be upset and isnt crying a lot, is it his teeth?
    Secondly, he seems like he has a cold, but hasnt (if you know what i mean) His sinuses are awful! He sounds really snotty, yet there is no snot in sight. Last night was particulalry bad and he was coughing and spluttering all night. I thought he had a cold but today he has been fine, all smiley and happy. He has been sneezing quite a lot too.
    Lastly his sleeping has been very disturbed. He hasnt been waking but has been groaning, moving, rubbing his face etc.. for hours during the night. he isnt hungry because he doesnt wake up looking for food, just very noisey!
    So what do you think? Were/are yours the same?

3. He could be teething, or maybe coming down with something? My LO went through weeks of coughing and spluttering in the night but being fine in the day. He also showed classic teething signs at a few months old, lots of dribbling, chewing and red cheeks but has only recently cut his first tooth at 13 months! Unfortunately I think teething symptoms can come and go for a while before teeth actually appear.

4. Blueone, I could have written that post about Jemima! It will be good to see what people say. We have snot to accompany all the other things you described so I have bought saline drops and a decongestant (obas oil) from the pharmacy today and am going to try those tonight, as well as raising the head of her matress so she'll sleep on a slight incline whixh is supposed to stop them getting so bunged up x

5. The dribbling and hands in mouth are classic signs of teething.
    The grabbing of the ear can mean an ear infection and it can also mean he's tired. I would get his ear checked over especially with what is out there, If its a virus then so be it but babies go down hill rather quickly. I spent nearly 3 months in and out of doctors this time last year (first term of Iso being in nursery)
    The moaning/groaning in his sleep sounds like he's dreaming and processing what he's been doing, Are you having busy days? Teeth can disturb sleep as do colds.
    best thing i found for teeth was Nelsons Teetha granules, and anbesol liquid (over counter) works so much better than the gels that rub off!
    Colds i tend to use vapour rub on chest and use a vapouriser in her room. Its an electrical device that you put a mentol pad in it and makes the room fill with mentol vapours, also helps dry out the snot! You can get the boots own device for £15 and the vapour pads £3.50.

6. blueone

blueone New commenter

Thanks for replies, but ive discovered that all of the symptoms i described were not related to teething as my LO now has a cold :( So all of the sinus problems were cold related and hes been coughing, sneezing and spluttering for the last 24 hours! Poor little thing, feel really sorry for him x

7. Colds are so hard on them! Mine had snot flying out of him and hated having face wiped! We used the saline drops and karvol on a bib hung on the top rail of the cot. recently discovered that boots do a vicks like rub for 3+ months.

8. Hi Blue, when Joshua had a cold a few weeks ago we put Karvol on a muslin cloth hanging on the side of his crib, rubbed Snufflebabe on his chest and used saline spray. This 3 pronged approach seemed to ease his suffering! Hope he's ok soon x

9. AWWW poor thing, colds are so horrible when they are so small.
    Just to say, grabbing ears can also be a teething sign... If the jaw hurts, this can extend to the ears and the LOs find it impossible to localise where the pain is...

We now have two teeth and had a horrible 2 days getting them through- calpol did help, but nothing else really touched if for the cutting. Teething granules helped a lot for the run up to the cutting (5 1/2 months).

10. AWWW poor thing, colds are so horrible when they are so small.
    Just to say, grabbing ears can also be a teething sign... If the jaw hurts, this can extend to the ears and the LOs find it impossible to localise where the pain is...

We now have two teeth and had a horrible 2 days getting them through- calpol did help, but nothing else really touched if for the cutting. Teething granules helped a lot for the run up to the cutting (5 1/2 months).

11. AWWW poor thing, colds are so horrible when they are so small.