1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A few French colloquialisms for fashions/styles please!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by rosaespanola, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

Talking about fashion/style, I just want to check what would be the most accurate French translation of the following words. Most of them are fairly slangy and I'm not sure what would be the best way to put them into French - looking at the forums on Wordreference.com, it seems like even native speakers argue about what sounds right, but I've always found people on here very helpful for this sort of thing! Here's what my Y12s want to say:
    - girly
    - slutty
    - chavvy
    - emo
    - something that gets across the idea of someone who is obsessed with designer labels (not sure we have a single word for that in English!)
    Thanks for any suggestions you have!

2. rosaespanola

Talking about fashion/style, I just want to check what would be the most accurate French translation of the following words. Most of them are fairly slangy and I'm not sure what would be the best way to put them into French - looking at the forums on Wordreference.com, it seems like even native speakers argue about what sounds right, but I've always found people on here very helpful for this sort of thing! Here's what my Y12s want to say:
    - girly
    - slutty
    - chavvy
    - emo
    - something that gets across the idea of someone who is obsessed with designer labels (not sure we have a single word for that in English!)
    Thanks for any suggestions you have!

3. Hi Rosaespanola!

I'm French and that is how i would translate these words (although I don't recommend you to teach some of them!)
    1) "girly"
    - very (very!) slangy : "meuf" (do you know that in French, we use verlan, which is a form of slang featuring inversion of syllabes in a word? Here "meuf" means "femme" in verlan). In French, I would say "ça fait très meuf" (literally : "It really looks girly)
    -appropriate slang (?) : "nana" . Here, I would say : "C'est une vraie nana"! (literally : "She is a real girl!")
    -more appropriate : "féminin(e)". "She is very girly" : "Elle est très féminine" (However, you lose the meaning of "girly" here, as being "girly" is different from "being feminine")

2) "slutty"
    -very (very!) slangy : "Elle s'habille comme une pouffiasse/pétasse" (literally : "She dresses like a ***")
    -a bit more appropriate : "Elle s'habille comme une traînée"

3) "chavvy"
    That word really is specific to English language! We don't have a proper translation (anyway, French people don't even know how a chave looks like!) So, I would say : "le style chave", "Il s'habille comme un chave")

4) "emo"
    We just say "emo! ". Eg : "le style emo", "Il s'habille comme un emo"

5) I would say : "Il est obsédé par les marques" ("marques" = "brands")

Well, hope that helps. You can see that the big problem with the translation here is that these adjectives turns into nouns in French.

4. rosaespanola

Thanks very much! I know most of these words are very specific English slang and it's difficult to translate things like that. I could get around most of them in a long-winded kind of way, but I wanted to know what native speakers would be most likely to say. I'll probably steer clear of the more controversial translations [​IMG]

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'm not French, but my friends who are would use the word cassos to mean chav and also the word racaille. Racaille is more to do with the way people dress, so the baseball caps and designer labels kind of chav!