1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A few facts about how vocabulary is stored in the brain that will impact your teaching

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gianfrancoconti1966, Nov 24, 2015.

1. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

2. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

I find your writings interesting and informative, eventually! But I do often feel the need for a precis.

Also... how about some concrete examples of your suggestions: eg you say

"Teachers should be careful when teaching cognates that are graphemically or phonologically very close in the two languages." How about an example? (Using French, or German, which would suit the majority of us). One example can clarify many lines of writing. Examples are great!

Thanks for bringing your work to our attention anyway!

3. gianfrancoconti1966

gianfrancoconti1966 Occasional commenter

Sure. Sorry about that. I have only recently starting bloggind and it is difficult to forget how obscure the jargon used by the applied linguistics community can be. Examples; ruso (Russian in Spanish) and Russo (Russian in Italian) are phonologically (in sound) and graphemically (in spelling) very close to an Italian learner's ear and eye. Hope it's clear. :)

4. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

Thanks, GF... that is really helpful. :D:)