1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A fantasy novel to fall into...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by impis, Jul 6, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

2. Raymond Feist- Magician series. The first one was published before I was born. A friend lent it to me about a year ago and I adored it. I have read about 6 or 7 of the books then started to get a bit confused as to what came next and what order to read them in but luckily on his website it lists them in the chronological order. Just google him :)

And for a lighter and shorter read (but also really great) try Kristin Cashore. She has 2 books out- Changeling and Fire which are set in the same world but in different lands/countries so the characters and their stories are quite different. I hope she's writing more!

Also (now you've got me started!) you might like the work of Maria V. Snyder. I loved her trilogy that started with Poison Study, and the Glass trilogy which follows right after was pretty good too.

I know what you mean about being sad when a book or series is ended. I'm usually straight on to the kindle store trawling through the recommendations for my next 'fix'!

Hope you like these books x

3. Trudi canavan Black Magician trilogy ((Magicians Guild, Novice, The High Lord)
    David Gemmell : Sipstrassi: Stones of Power

4. I was going to suggest the Game of Thrones

Have you read David Eddings? start with the Belgariad, the first one is pawn of proffecy

5. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

If you have a few hundred hours to spare...
    Steven Erikson - 1st book is Gardens of the Moon - and there are 9 more after that. Vast cast of characters with action taking place on several continents, not to mention in magical 'warrens' which are outside of normal space - couldn't begin to describe them properly - my son sums them up as 'awesome'
    Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn trilogy - quite new and not at all what I was expecting, but v. enjoyable nonetheless. (He's the author who is finishing off Robert Jordan's epic Wheels of Time series too, and making a great job of it - v. readable) Apparently there is a new series due from him soon, the first one may be out already. I tend to wait until books are in pb or it costs me too much.
    Janny Wurts - 1st book is called Mistwraith - there are now at least 9 books in this series too! Be warned,much as I love these books for the characters, she doesn't stint on her adjectives - it has begun to grate of late! - but I will keep reading anyway as I want to know what happens - what a saddo!
    David Edding's books are much, much quicker to read, but I did love the Belgariad - and the follow up 5 - he's written loads, but the early books are best in my opinion.
    Guy Gavriel Kay has long been one of my favourite authors - I have to admit to re reading all of his books multiple times - the books are like old friends. They are not difficult to read either, so you can fit them in at the end of a long day.
    Raymond E. Feist is also worth a go - The Magician kicks it all off
    I am now on book 3 of Game of Thrones - and loving them (not sure when I have time to fit work in) - why did I never read these before?

6. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Anything by David Gemmell.
    Simon R Green - Shadows Fall, Blue Moon Rising, Hawk and Fisher series and the Nightside series. Also quite like his Drood series, a mickey take on James Bond with a supernatural sideline.
    Terry Brooks' Shannara novels
    Joe Abercrombie is the latest newcomer I quite like.

Happy reading.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I enjoyed the curse of chalion by lois mcmaster bujold.

8. FIREBRAND and BLOODSTONE by Gillian Philip. Mindblowingly good. (Saw FIREBRAND in 'The Times' as 'the best fantasy novel of 2010' and the reviewer was spot on.) Really gutsy and engaging.
    Or, if you're after a cracking fantasy for ages 8 and upwards: DARKISLE by D A Nelson. It won the Royal Mail Awards for Children's Books. It's a fantasy with a great sense of humour. I believe a lot of schools use it as a standard classroom text.
    Hope you like the above if you read them.

9. pixel

pixel New commenter

If you liked Game of Thrones you will love Magician by Feist.
    Another very similar book to love is the Assassin's Apprentice - Farseer series by Robin Hobb.
    I also love the Belgariad series which is another favourite.

10. Weaveworld is marvellous. And if you don't mind teen fiction the Bartimaeus trilogy is great.

11. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Someone's suggested Trudi Canavan and her 'Black Magician Trilogy', which I definitely second! I wasn't too bothered with her 'Age of Five' trilogy, or whatever it's called. But the Black Magician trilogy and the related prequel and sequel trilogy (still being written) are fantastic.
    If you want something a bit different, try Jasper Fforde and his Thursday Next sereis. Alternative reality, other than fantasy world, but very funny, very literature-based and great reading!