1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A dog and teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Aug 29, 2016.

1. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I've ALWAYS wanted a dog! It's just not fair though to leave one all day everyday. Some days you will have no time for it at all.
    I've Got a cat, I'm sure it prefers its own company. It also loves its visit to the cattery each year; its one where each cat has its own outdoor run.
    When I retire I'm getting a dog!
    So, no don't get a dog.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Put it like this - a breeder/puppy farm will likely let you have a puppy. Some won't because they wouldn't want their babies to be effectively abandoned.

A rescue centre wouldn't give you the time of day. You are not suitable for a rescue dog. A rescue dog is still better in a rescue centre than in a home where there's...nobody home.

You are not a suitable candidate to be a dog-owner.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

How about borrowing a dog?

http://join1.borrowmydoggy.com/?gclid=CJDq4L2Z6c4CFc8aGwoduhwIig

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/aug/02/borrowing-dog-gives-us-part-time-pet

This way, you might be able to have a lovely doggy pet for walks but it won't be left on it's own for ages?

My sons are desperate for me to get them a dog and a cat, but I know that it will be left on it's own for long periods of time. I couldn't leave it to be distressed. I would love to borrow a dog, but with two feisty boys, it's would have to be quite a calm dog!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There's a BBC programme. It was on the other night.

Chris Packham left his two poodles for 40 minutes. They cried for most of the time (even though they had each other) and their cortisol levels were elevated due to stress and separation anxiety. He was mortified.

And he very rarely leaves them anyway! And he felt terrible!

Dragonlady30 and slingshotsally like this.
  5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

A neighbour had two dogs and I hardly heard a bark at all while she was at work.

Unfortunately, one of them died. The remaining dog howls out of grief and loneliness. It is awful to listen to. It's quite a big dog and not used to children, or I may have offered to walk it and keep it company if I wasn't at appointments.

6. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be difficult but I was hoping someone had a way of working around it.

[​IMG]

It wouldn't be fair to a dog. I'll think about a cat but the whole cattery thing still bugs me also; mainly because when I visit my parents it's normally for a week or two at a time. In the summer holidays it's even more.

Thanks for the advice.

bombaysapphire and vannie like this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Louise, you've made me all weepy!!! :( :( :(

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Adopt two cats from the rescue. Then they will have each other in the cattery. As well as the benefits of two pets keeping each other company it is really entertaining to compare their different character traits.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

The previous post should have been crying face!!
    Get a cat, don't worry about the cattery, the cat will quickly get used. They always have lots of little helpers who will cuddle and love your cat. When I was having work done on the house my daughter went round to the cattery to visit, she couldn't get a look in with the other cats.:):)

SLouise91 likes this.
  11. happypug

happypug New commenter

Ahh that picture! Think that's my dog's thoughts exactly.. he even follows me to the toilet...

I've had to move house purely so that he has the company of my mum and her dog while I'm teaching, otherwise it just wouldn't be fair. Think you've made the right decision. Good luck with your cat!