1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A dog and a banana

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jul 28, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Mrs modelmaker retrieved a banana that was starting to go black from the fruit bowl this evening. She was about to discard it when I suggested the dog might like it for desert. I peeled and chopped it up for her (the dog) but she sniffed it several times and showed an unsual disniterest.
    Ok, I thought, give her some yoghurt with it, and her interest picked up insofar as she licked all the youghurt off but refused to touch the banana.
    You little sod, I thought, so I mashed the banana and mixed it in with another dollop of yoghurt. This she sniffed continually but wouldn't touch. She's a fussy sod. Her predecessor would have had the stainless bowl skidding around the kitchen all evening, long after the food had gone.
    There's an interesting thing I've noticed with dogs. They wolf down food like there's no tomorrow and enjoy the taste afterwards. Even with a titbit, it's instantaneously swallowed, barely touching their tongues yet they spend the next five minutes licking heir lips.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Mrs modelmaker retrieved a banana that was starting to go black from the fruit bowl this evening. She was about to discard it when I suggested the dog might like it for desert. I peeled and chopped it up for her (the dog) but she sniffed it several times and showed an unsual disniterest.
    Ok, I thought, give her some yoghurt with it, and her interest picked up insofar as she licked all the youghurt off but refused to touch the banana.
    You little sod, I thought, so I mashed the banana and mixed it in with another dollop of yoghurt. This she sniffed continually but wouldn't touch. She's a fussy sod. Her predecessor would have had the stainless bowl skidding around the kitchen all evening, long after the food had gone.
    There's an interesting thing I've noticed with dogs. They wolf down food like there's no tomorrow and enjoy the taste afterwards. Even with a titbit, it's instantaneously swallowed, barely touching their tongues yet they spend the next five minutes licking heir lips.

3. Happy memores of my beloved dog - she used to wolf down fruit, then look appealing for more and begrudging every mouthful I took. I can still hear the noise of her bowl scudding along the kitchen floor even though she's been gone nearly a year. Thank you for making me smile :)

4. Not just dogs - my youngest can sniff out a piece of fruit or veg at 12 yards even when I've cunningly hid it in a sauce. His plate at the end of a meal is covered with miniscule bits of onion or other veg that he has carefully picked out of his food. It drives me mad!!

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Our old Border Collie used to go mad for bananas- she loved them!