1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A disater victim for a day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...se_n_9345996.html?utm_hp_ref=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk

Apparently an exercise is taking place for the emergency services, that will simulate a tower block falling on top of Waterloo Station. All the emergency services will be involved, of course, but they will have train loads of victims to evacuate from the rubble.

No doubt those who will be playing the roles of victims will have been signed up long ago and have spent the early hours of this morning having terrible wounds applied, maybe for authenticity, they've been doped up to the eyeballs as well, in order that they are dazed, groggy and non-compliant.

If you had been given the opportunity to be one of these victims, what sort of injuries would you fancy having? Would you fancy being among the "dead" or buried so deep in the rubble that sniffer dogs need to find you?

Edit: That was disaster in the thread title.

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Saw this on BBC, seems a bit pointless to me, as an "exercise" will be full of Health and Safety nonsense, whereas in a real event the emergency services will just wade in. How much money is wasted on it.

Lascarina likes this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I should think all sorts of valuable lessons will be learned by the Emergency services: communication skills, teamwork, equipment handling, transport, triage etc etc. The list is endless.
    I may be taking part in Trauma simulations at the local hospital this week. I have possible scenarios and will have 'moulage' (fake injuries) applied. Great fun but it's also training in advanced life support for the doctors and is part of their assessment. Obviously, I won't be given any invasive treatment but they have to explain what they would do.

colpee, kibosh and InkyP like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would go for one of those complex injuries hiding a deeper problem which would normally keep House and his team busily engaged until 10 minutes before the end of the programme.

kibosh, Lascarina and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Massive blood loss.

You get labelled at the scene. Dead? They just get left there. You don't want to be dead. So you want to be taken away asap. You have to have a life-threatening injury or you'll just be triaged and have to sit around for hours.

So you want to be a 'red'.

Dunteachin likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Do you reckon you could get a few years off work, claiming post traumatic stress for seeing all the manufactured gore?

kibosh likes this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Isn't part of the point to actually teach them the health and safety concerns in a 'live' situation, so that if the time comes and they have to just wade in, they're at least aware of things that are going to make the situation worse?

kibosh and Dunteachin like this.
  8. Duke of York

Don't tell UKIP, but part of the cost is being paid by the EU.

kibosh likes this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd do it, I think it's a valuable exercise. They do them at my local hospital too. One such practice involved decontamination tents being erected in the grounds. There used to be a lot of chemical works round here and I think there are still a few left.

Dunteachin likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Drills are a major feature of emergency work. They find it very helpful.

kibosh likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If the organisers pay I'll play a drunk from a malt whisky tasting.

kibosh and Lascarina like this.
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Sounds like someone is preparing for 'something'. I wonder what it can be?

13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I took part in one of those scenarios in Yorkshire when I was young. From memory, a bus had crashed on the moors and casualties were scattered across moorland. I didn't have serious injuries, but the make up people provided me with some pretty gory gashes with plenty of blood! We were carted off in ambulances with blues and twos and it was exciting!

kibosh likes this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do people get 4 days off work for volunteering for this? Or is it only the unemployed who do it?

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I think they advertise for volunteers in various places, so I expect it's people who have free time for whatever reason - mainly students. There'll be different people on different days. I doubt people get paid time off work.

16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This may be apocryphal but...

I'm sure I read of a similar simulation of a major tube accident when they discovered that the stretchers were not suitable for getting underground and subsequent adaptations were made.

2-3 months later 7/7 occurred.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Apocryphal or not, it's chilling, so let's hope that the current exercise doesn't presage such a shocking disaster!

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You know I was wondering about this . . . .I've never seen an advert like this anywhere in Scotland :eek: Mind you, considering my aversion to advertising of any description . . . . .. . .

19. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Indeed
    But without the simulation the problems wouldn't have been recognised (and thus rectified) until the real disaster with even more disastrous consequences.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

They interviewed a casualty this morning and a lot of them were student drs. When my mum was an A&E nurse, they used to have simulations once a year. I think one was a rail disaster. She would be rung at home to attend a major incident and they never knew until they got there if it was a real one.