1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A desperate plea for help - AQA Lit Spec B

Discussion in 'English' started by Kensington84, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Kensington84

Kensington84 New commenter

Hi all,

I apologise in advance for my desperate grovelling. To cut a long story short, I am out of my NQT year and have been given an A2 Lit Spec B class. Now, I have not only never taught lit before, but unfortunately, the classes previous teacher was off on long term sick, and as a result, they all got U's in AS. Additionally, that staff member was the only member of staff responsible for post 16 and nobody else within the department is able or willing to help.

I want to have a clue. I want to do what's best for the pupils, and see this as an opportunity to do what's right by them whilst developing my own teaching skills. I need any sort of hints/tips/action plan on delivering AS/A level Lit from an experienced teacher. I am pretty much teaching from the Nelson Thornes book at the moment whilst I try to get my head around this.

Thanks in advance

2. Kensington84

Hi all,

I apologise in advance for my desperate grovelling. To cut a long story short, I am out of my NQT year and have been given an A2 Lit Spec B class. Now, I have not only never taught lit before, but unfortunately, the classes previous teacher was off on long term sick, and as a result, they all got U's in AS. Additionally, that staff member was the only member of staff responsible for post 16 and nobody else within the department is able or willing to help.

I want to have a clue. I want to do what's best for the pupils, and see this as an opportunity to do what's right by them whilst developing my own teaching skills. I need any sort of hints/tips/action plan on delivering AS/A level Lit from an experienced teacher. I am pretty much teaching from the Nelson Thornes book at the moment whilst I try to get my head around this.

Thanks in advance

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

I mark this paper. PM me.

4. Cat0115

Cat0115 New commenter

I have a number of power points based on the Nelson Thornes book on Elements of the Gothic if you would like them?

They are not whizzy but would give you a breathing space? I also do Macbeth, Frankenstein and some Chaucer. Will be doing Wuthering Heights later in the year.
    Also have plenty of stuff on Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Tennyson for AS lit if that helps too.

C

5. Kensington84

Thank you for all the help guys. It is really appreciated.

6. amylong

amylong New commenter

Cat-could I pretty please have the powerpoints you were mentioning? I am in similar position to the OP and tear my hair out when planning for yr 13-which is what I am doing now at 11.30 :( I would gladly share anything with you that I have on the white devil!

7. Lgreenwood5

Lgreenwood5 New commenter

Please could I also have a copy of these ppt Cat. Same position.

Thankyou so much.