1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A depressingly bad year for secondary supply, it will only get worse

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Kenmuir1, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

I have seen a number of threads of people saying they are giving up full time posts for supply.
    This is a knew jerk reaction to the bonanza time that supply was last year and previous years with tons of work,
    I'm sorry to say this but there is no works his academic year, it is only going to get worse what with budget cuts, lesser absences for fear of redundancies, schools hiring less supply teachers, billions leaving permanent posts for supply, preference of either well known teachers or cover supervisors, doubling up, internal cover, the "snitching culture" of supply where others are, the stitching others up to get more work are all contributing to it being a really stupid decision.
    I have had very little work this year, only the odd day here and there, whereas last year and
    previous years I was completely inundated for day to day secondary general cover. Don't be a fool. Stay in your permanent job. There is no work.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

If you are talking about secondary supply, what bonanza did you mean?. Secondary supply has been almost dead for the last four years, at least.

3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

L would have to agree that secondary is seriously bad this year, it was just about manageable last year, but now the impression i get is that schools want qualified teachers in as CS to save money and that is when they want anyone at all. It is only the seriously bad schools that seem to need a lot of supply. I would say the weather as not helped in that bad weather oddly seems to help supply, in that permanent teachers tend to go sick, and I have to agree with Kenmuir that there seems to be a climate of fear with schools now and teachers are thinking twice about going sick or taking as little time of as possible through the fear of a negative mark on their records. Primary is better, because of the influx of infant children over the recent years, but even here budgets are being stretched and schools are thinking twice about using supply or only do so when they have too. My cousin is a mentor in a primary school and she mentioned over Christmas that her school had lost staff through redundancies, including teaching staff due to tight budgets.

So like Kenmuir I fear for supply, especially secondary because of the influx of new teachers to supply either through losing their jobs due to school mergers, for example a local LA over recent years have lost 3 secondary schools due to them merging with other secondary schools, the consequence is that there is a natural reduction of staff needed. Then there is the newly qualified teachers who cannot get a post and so look to supply instead, until they can get a post and the ones who leave permanent roles to due supply due to issues like stress, leadership issues or workload. In some cases I would say for health reasons this desire to leave a permanent post is sensible, but otherwise I would do not leave a permanent post, because you financial future becomes a lottery due to the nature of demand and supply within the supply sector.

Kenmuir1 likes this.
  4. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Can someone tell me what the "stitching culture" in supply is? I've heard over and over that supply staff are tattled on. Is by other supply teachers? How would a supply teacher spy on another supply teacher?

5. Kenmuir1

Kenmuir1 New commenter

It refers to staff members reporting others to management in order to further their position and lead to the others downfall, hence getting them more work
    It is often supply teacher against supply teacher.
    It happens

6. splinters

splinters Established commenter

When I go on assignment staff are generally relieved to have a teacher, more so if they think they are a safe pair of hands. I get on with the job and hardly see any other staff nevermind another supply teacher. I cant imagine ever doing this. Even when kids talk negatively about the teacher im covering for I change the subject or just play it down. Its called professionalism and i would expect it from teachers whether permanent or supply. Having said that, if a teacher is acting unprofessionally you have a duty to at least mention it to a relevant member of senior staff. If that is considered 'stitching' then so be it.