1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A decision to make...any thoughts??!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ABeadle, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have been offered a primary school teaching job, with a bit of a difference, and would really appreciate your thoughts if it would be the right career move for me.
    Briefly my career history...
    * Background in secondary school physical education as a teacher and head of department.
    * Achieved/experienced all I wanted to in secondary P.E.
    * Decided to continue my teaching career in primary education (always been an ambition of mine)
    * Resigned from secondary head of department post in July 2011 to spend a period of time making the transition to primary school teaching. (I felt it was not viable to go directly from secondary to primary teaching.)
    * Since Sept 2011, to gain the neccesary primary experience, I started teaching voluntary in schools which led to regular supply, which has led to a summer term Y6 maternity cover.
    * I'm loving teaching in primary schools and am recieving positive feedback from headteachers. I have found many of the skills and experiences I've gained in secondary education are standing me in good stead in primary school teaching, although it is still been a massive learning curve!
    The intention at the school is Year 5 and 6 (one form entry) will be amalgamated for literacy and numeracy and set into 3 classes according to ability. There will be a team of 3 staff teaching a class each. The other areas of the curriculum will be divided up between the team and team taught.
    The job offer is to be a member of the Y5/6 team.
    I've done a few days supply at the school during which I have been observed by the head and had several 'professional chats' I believe they are called, and she is really keen to appoint me to the post.
    A few facts:
    * I will be paid at UPS 3.
    * It's a 1 year contract in the first instance.
    * I will have my own classroom (the school is becomming an academy and having alot of re-development)
    * Some challenging pupils but I have always enjoyed the supply I have done there.
    The post ticks many of the boxes particularly that it will enable me to really get to grips with numeracy and literacy with support from other members of the team (they seem really nice) and with a relatively small class.
    Any thoughts/advice would be really apprecaited-:
    * Does it seem a good opportunity for this stage of my career when I'm inexperienced in primary teaching?
    * Is there anything I need to be aware of / should find out before possibly accepting the post?
    * Do I hold out for a 'traditional teaching' role i.e- own class and teaching all areas.
    Happy easter and thanks for any advice you can give.........................

2. I don't mean to sounds rude, but... are you mad?! It's NO picnic landing a primary job right now. Bite her hand off! Well, probably good that you didn't look too desperate. Whilst pretending not to be hungry, bite her hand off.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

With your background and experience I think you should be biting the HT's hand off!

Chances are the maths literacy will be in the three groups as wished and then you could well be used for cover in the rest of the school giving you heaps of experience.

I honestly think it is highly unlikely you would get a 'traditional' classteacher role for this September. In terms of experience you have no more than all the new NQTs coming into the job market and yet are 15 grand a year more expensive.

I think you would be mad to say no.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL Lovely choice of phrase!!!

5. Madness... Biting of hands... Great minds! [​IMG]

6. becky70

becky70 New commenter

You should go for it. It's a fantastic opportunity which many others would love to have.

7. That's great many thanks for the advice- glad you all think it is a positive opportunity. I'm meeting the head tomorrow to talk more about the potential post, so will let you know how it goes.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Best of Luck!