1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A decent Singapore salary, pls

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by claytie, Sep 24, 2019.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

I'm sure there must be a thread about this somewhere, can't find it. I have just been offered a Skype interview by a Singapore school and in the meantime they have asked me what my salary expectations are? I would need to send some money back to the UK. Any feedback or advice welcomed!

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I've sent you a 'Conversation'.

3. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

Depends how long you've been teaching - you tend to go in on a point of the scale. Is it just you working? As Singapore is quite expensive. You would want a salary in the region of 7-10k per month to be able to send money home as well. I earn about in the middle of this bracket as a HoD with 10 years experience - but crucially my husband works too earning a bit less but still pretty good. We save his salary and spend mine on life and holidays!

4. claytie

claytie New commenter

It would be both of us earning,and we've both been teaching a long time...! So maybe 10k?

5. Bythesea123

Bythesea123 New commenter

There's usually a maximum entry point, eg point 16 of the scale. So even if you've taught 25 years you'd still have to enter point 16. So probably more like 8-8.5k. but if you both earn this and have your accomodation and insurance covered you will be laughing in SG. It would be loads to live on and save.

claytie likes this.
  6. motorhomer

motorhomer New commenter

Is that 7-10k net (before tax) ?

If so, that means you are saving £60,000 per year from one salary?

Man I thought I was doing OK but after having read that maybe I should move on to pastures new...

claytie likes this.
  7. migratingbird

8. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Hi , currently teaching in Spain but have a few possible offers for China , I have 15 years experience including management and looking at head of department posts . What can I expect as a decent salary . ? Thanks

9. 123flowers

123flowers Occasional commenter

I’m also in the same position. Only been offered an interview but need to weigh up my options. I’m coming from Dubai and would make the move to earn more money! Any one in Singapore feel free to start a conversation to give me all of the advice! :) thanks

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Maybe you should start another topic on pay and conditions in China.

Here is Shanghai you will be lucky to be offered 35000rmb before tax, so anything over that you are doing well. Accommodation allowance if offered should be 10 to 12500rmb, some schools now are offering school supplied appartments. You will need 10+ for a decent place to live in Shanghai. Flights allowances should be at least 12000rmb, not many schools offer additional extra flights and accommodation for family members, a few do however.

Current exrate 8.8 to the GBP.

11. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Hi @migratingbird I have also sent you a conversation, I hope you don’t mind.

migratingbird likes this.
  12. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Thanks will do

13. epeacock

epeacock New commenter

I have been offered
    Please can I have a conversation too! Have been offered a job in Singapore and need to support family of 4.

14. migratingbird

Done :)

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Which school at if you don't mind me asking (give is a clue - no direct names allowed)

16. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Hi thanks , could you chat offline if possible , thanks