1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Decade of The Tories.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Dec 7, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

. . . . . ?

3. needabreak

Did you not understand what I was asking?

Kandahar likes this.
  4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It was more about the assumption in your question.

5. needabreak

You claimed they were funded by the Conservatives, so there must be a loophole in their charity status and funding policy that allows this, they declare funding over a certain amount do they not? So I was asking what the issue is with their policy that could rest in the bias you claim that they deny.

Can you quote the data that is wrong or biased too while your at it? Or are you making assumptions because you disagree or haven't considered the points made and definitions and the changeable nature of poverty... I thought you'd agree with the definition bit at least.

Kandahar likes this.
  6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

No, I didn't.

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The main rise due to the 2007/8 crisis was mostly over by 2010 for most countries. I would expect a slower continued rise (as we see in most other countries)
    https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-and-conservative-records-national-debt/

The main difference is where that extra money is going. Some countries are going to benefit more in the long term because of where they have spent it. We've managed to spend more whilst cutting investment in the country.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Obviously that leads to 2 questions.
    1 Where was money spent incorrectly? .
    2 Where should that same money have been spent?

needabreak likes this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed, whilst the UK is the only major western economy to meet UN target to donate 0.7% of GDP to overseas aid.

Perhaps you'd agree with me that it's time we joined those "other countries" in reducing overseas aid.

needabreak likes this.
  10. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

No. I would describe the tories as evil.
    Since their swing to the hard right, they are also borderline fascist.
    Charismatic hard right leader, never actually says anything, shuts down parliament when it's inconvenient to him, serial liar (including to the monarch he swore allegiance to), threatens a media channel when they pull a harmless stunt that mildly mocks him, is sexist, racist, homophobic and intolerant.

I sometimes fear that
    people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
    worn by grotesques and monsters
    as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.
    Fascism arrives as your friend.
    It will restore your honour,
    make you feel proud,
    protect your house,
    give you a job,
    clean up the neighbourhood,
    remind you of how great you once were,
    clear out the venal and the corrupt,
    remove anything you feel is unlike you...
    It doesn't walk in saying,
    "Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
    Michael Rosen

11. LondonCanary

To their credit, they are the most diverse borderline fascist government.

needabreak and Kandahar like this.
  12. needabreak

Ok.

13. needabreak

Some other countries have invested in our infrastructure is that something you see as something we should be doing, investing in other countries infrastructure? Its difficult to be specific as you haven't named the countries you prefer us to follow... Guessing not Greece, Spain or even France.

Kandahar likes this.
  14. needabreak

Yet still more popular that Labour? Sheesh... What are the opposition doing wrong to have that effect?

Kandahar likes this.
  15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Only in the biased media polls. These polls worked out so well for Theresa in the last election.

I look forward to watching Johnson reaping the same rewards. He has deserved every defeat handed to him thus far.

With any luck he'll oversee the dissolution of the Tory party as it stands today.

16. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

They are subjected to intense, serious lies and smearing on a daily basis by all major news outlets. It's not labour that's the problem. It's not Corbyn. It's the hard right, billionaire owned media distorting our politics.

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I don't want us to follow anyone. I want us to invest more in our police, health and education systems and national public transport systems.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

The conspiracy theory is alive and well.

needabreak and LondonCanary like this.
  19. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

So how much would you like our international aid contribution to drop by?

needabreak likes this.
  20. LondonCanary

I notice the phrase "invest more in" had totally replaced "spend more on" over the past 20 years. It certainly sounds better.

needabreak and florian gassmann like this.