1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Decade of The Tories.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Dec 7, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

install, alex_teccy and Kandahar like this.
  2. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The last few labour governments. That would be before the last 10 years of Tory austerity. And before the banks crashed the world economy.

As for your skewed understanding of current state of play in the UK...
    Those with a billion chairs will not pay any tax as they are registered in a tax haven. The poorest will be called scroungers and those without chairs will be criminalised and fined. Most of those with one chair will pay a hefty tax on their single chair and by far the biggest proportion of what their monies.

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

upload_2019-12-8_14-59-40.jpeg

Evicted Match Box Maker​
    "An evicted match-box maker, Bethnal Green, circa 1900. A woman with her two children stands alongside all her worldly possessions, two chairs, a wooden board, a sack of belongings and an oil lamp."

The ideal Christmas present to buy a Tory. Only £25 per print.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

What's your point?

6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Tories have been in power for some considerable time. There have been 10 years of labour government in last 40 years.

You need to stop trying blame labour for the problems created by governments that have been Tory for 75% of the time.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It would be truer to say "You need to stop trying blame labour for the problems created by governments that have been Tory in all but name, for 100% of that time.

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Actually, it would be fanciful.

NB I will forward my details shortly.

9. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

O, I quite agree. But that is merely a distraction from my point. for 30 odd years of the last 40 years we have had a Tory government. These Tory governments have had ample time to demonstrate how great they are going to make things for ordinary folks. I ain't seeing it and am getting tired of the billionaire owned press blaming everything on the EU and/or labour.

chelsea2 likes this.
  10. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Who will they blame when we have left the EU next week?

JL48 likes this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

People on here have already started the drum banging with references to the strikes of the 70's. It is quite Orwellian really.

schrodingers prorogation 2019.jpg

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I gather it depends - there are one or two different ways of defining it. From what a poster earlier said there are figures between 3 and 4.2 million children in poverty in the UK - depending on the definition.

When I was working in schools in more deprived areas there were certainly kids that didn't have enough to eat, relied on school meals, and wore uniform that was tatty and too small for them as buying clothes for growing children is expensive.

I don't have to deal with that anymore as I'm too selfish and have chosen to work in a nice private school. It pays me more, gives me more holidays, and the children arrive well fed and clothed - even if some of them do arrive on public transport while playing on their phones. But I never forget the deprived children that I once taught, and would certainly never deny their existence . . .

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I should also add that fullfact.org was founded by a Conservative Party donor. A quick look at the other links at the bottom of the page show that it is distinctly less than even handed.

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

True. They have had several years to provide me with free internet and cheap season tickets. I am hoping that when it happens, it will be backdated.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The EU, of course.
    Do keep up!

ajrowing likes this.
  16. ajrowing

Sorry its all very confusing for me.

chelsea2 likes this.
  17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

You are optimistic then, that a trade deal with the EU can be done in a matter of months?

18. ajrowing

Of course it can, it will be one of the easiest deals in history.

Stiltskin likes this.
  19. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

"You can if you think you can"
    Norman Vincent Peale

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool."
    R. Feynman.

ajrowing likes this.