1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Decade of The Tories.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Dec 7, 2019.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Assassins? You really want to use that kind of language?

needabreak likes this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

We've had cut, cut and cut again for ten years now, and this has been pure ideology, not economics, from people who believe in the minimal state and loathe the people who benefit most from the welfare state, and resent paying for it, forgetting that one day they will benefit from it themselves. The Conservatives have devastated the state while engineering handouts to the big business backers for whom austerity is something which happens to others.

ajrowing likes this.
  3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

They've been in power since 1979, what's another 5 years

Duke of York and Spoofer4114 like this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Every single forecast I have seen indicates that leaving the EU (with or without a deal) will have a negative effect on our economy. Nothing to do with which party is in power - except, of course, the Tories are determined we will leave EU.

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

In the short term - as expected with radical change (as did our joining the EEC - I remember how the pence in my pocket suddenly devalued).
    Yes. The only party willing to respect democracy.

artboyusa and needabreak like this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The pound was devalued in 1967, nothing to do with the EEC. Then in 1971 the radical change was the USA unilaterally abandoning the Bretton Woods system . By default sterling became a floating currency. Linking the devaluation of the pound to
    joining the EEC is incorrect.

Kandahar likes this.
  7. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

But if we had joined the USA then instead of the EEC the pound wouldn't have devalued.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I was alive back then so what I may or not have read is irrelevant... As is the time frame unless you can point to something useful they have done within that time frame... Though I doubt you will since most current JC supporters dislike Blair and Brown as much as the Conservatives.

9. needabreak

Big business provides good, services and jobs but make it the enemy as Labour is doing if you must, your choice and tha choice is currently a poor one.

Is the spend spend spend manifesto not one based on ideology? You pays your money you takes your choice... Or maybe you takes the money and takes the choice.

Ref my siggy below.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes, we could still do that and be like Zimbabwe that used the dollar as its national currency. It didnt work out too well.

Kandahar likes this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Which manifesto are you refering to? The one intended to restore dignity to the British people or the one that's a con, intended to pretend the party has changed its spots?

JL48 likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'In the short-term'???

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ars-when-do-leavers-think-brexit-will-pay-off
    According to one of the most prominent Brexiters, Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, we should see the benefits of Brexit in about half a century. “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time,” he said. “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

Digby Jones, a crossbench peer and former director-general of the CBI, wanted the delegates at the Black Country Local Enterprise Partnership’s annual conference in 2016 to know that he was “a very optimistic guy”. He then went on to say: “I think Britain in 100 years’ time will thank God they came out.”

Nigel Farage never promised that Brexit “would be a huge success”, he said on LBC radio. “I never said it would be a beneficial thing to leave and everyone would be better off,” said Farage – who has repeatedly said we would be better off – “just that we would be self-governing.”

MAGAorMIGA and Duke of York like this.
  13. needabreak

Once again I was a remainer but I respect the vote, I do not assume people did not educate themselves, I did not assume they were/are stupid, they were old enough to vote and thus the result should be honoured by our elected reps who should have done so swiftly to minimise the impact of uncertainty on the economy and speed recovery but they choose to debate and frustrate the peoples choice yet stand there saying they are for the many... don't make me laugh.

Kandahar and artboyusa like this.
  14. needabreak

The one that is topping the spend priority and promising to look after everyone... I'm jot sire dependency creates dignity... Feel free to discuss.

15. ajrowing

I agree this looking after everyone idea is not a good one. Greed is much better.

16. ajrowing

Ah no, Zimbabwe didn't join the USA it just tried to use its currency. Isn't joining the USA the aim once Brexit is done?

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Have you got any leaked papers of Russian origin to confirm or deny that?

Kandahar and artboyusa like this.
  18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

If Its the will of the people then it must be for the best.

ajrowing likes this.
  19. ajrowing

I pretty sure Zimbabwe hasn't joined the USA, but are perhaps considering joining the EU.

20. needabreak

It doesn't have to involve greed but it should involve everyone willing to contribute and above all people building resilliance, where the State takes care of everything people become more and more dependent, not a recipe for a sustained economy on an international basis, we would be left behind the resilient peoples of BRIC and MINT economies. A safety net yes but a totalitarian regime to replacement independence and resilliance? I'm not sure we will be pleased with the results in the the longer term when the spending becomes unsustainable... with predictable economic failures. But we can hope for Jam today and Jam tomorrow if like the opiate of the masses it lulls us into a false sense of wellbeing.

Kandahar likes this.