1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Decade of The Tories.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JL48, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Will it change anyone's mind though?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Probably not.

There are too many "We voted to leave" type people out there.

JL48 and chelsea2 like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I couldn't agree less. Tell me, how will you personally benefit from the reelection of the Tories, followed by the hard Brexit? Will you be first in the queue at the soup kitchen?

monicabilongame and afterdark like this.
  4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I will Vote Labour next Thursday because of the policy platform on which my local candidate is standing, the Labour manifesto which for me offers real hope for the radical re-structuring of your economy which for 40 years has been excessively tilted in favour of the already-rich, and has had insufficient care for the disadvantaged. Over so many years this has had the effect of leaving millions of children in poverty. 77 years ago, in the darkest year of the War, even as the bombs were still coming down killing tens of thousands and rendering hundreds of thousands homeless, Sir William Beveridge unveiled his Report. The audacity of it still makes you gasp. He referred to the "Five Giants" who needed to be slain - Want (Poverty); Idleness (Unemployment); Disease (Poor Healthcare); Squalor (Poor Housing) and Ignorance (Poor Education). He proposed free education and healthcare for all, a welfare state to care for anyone who needed it, paid for by all irrespective of need. Under Thatcher, and since, we have abandoned his ideas, and it's about time we returned to them. That these five have re-appeared in Britain over the past nine years shows us the importance of this election. The enemies of Labour have thrown up every imaginable distraction, diversion and smokescreen, but let's be clear. These are the creatures of privilege, of advantage and of excess, or their lackeys. They don't want Labour because they will be made to give more to people they love to demonise - "dole dossers", "benefit fraudsters", "benefit tourists" and the like.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The trouble with your love of quoting out-of-date news stories is that they show how out-of-date you are!

Had you bothered to do a modicum of research, you would have discovered that Peter Lamb resigned from the Conservative Party last March, having been disciplined by the party for the remarks he made (and for which he apologised).

He didn't even stand in the May elections - he was replaced as Conservative candidate for Toddbrook ward by Thomas Reynolds, who was not elected (the Labour candidate won the seat).

6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I often ask this.
    There is seldom a sensible answer.

Tory teachers are strange peeps.

What on earth, if anything, are they thinking?

Sally006 and ajrowing like this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Probably because there will be no hard Brexit. You need to ask the right questions if you want a sensible answer.

8. Ivartheboneless

Your lies are the same as Boris's. Try listening and reading what is being reported from the Government itself. Just repeating platitudes over and over does not make them true.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Like many people, my politics are not determined by my occupation?

Kandahar and needabreak like this.
  10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Prove it. Everyone should know about the economic cycle, you can't just spend your way to economic growth while driving out the money and businesses... Despite what Keynes said. Those with an eye for the bible will recall the lean years etc... A time for everything and a dogmatic unchanging unreactive economic plan is more dangerous than frankly a Conservative one that is flexible to a point.... It's in the name... To conserve... Like Conservative dentistry, only those who stand to gain will be duped by a giveaway election... So they must actually be hoping that there are more poor people than those doing ok because that's the only way they will get in and that's a sad negative approach for sure. Time and time again we hear what might be under labour and again and again they make their dream world party appear economically inept and unelectable.

11. needabreak

You think this is personal?

12. Ivartheboneless

I just think you are sorely misguided, if you cannot understand just how bad this country will be if Boris and his Tory assassins get back in and drag us out of Europe into the Third World.

13. needabreak

Well they might be on the higher end of the pays scale because £75k+ is dangerously close to JC's £80k tax threshold, perhaps they have done the graft and paid the mortgage... Or more likely and less personal perhaps they don't see an economically competent Labour party... Some might even remember the last few Labour Governments... The lights going off, the rubbish piling high, and they might be wondering what totalitarian nonsense scheme is behind this lot.

Edit - Oh and by the way while most teachers earn their crust in the public sector they are whether they deny it or not middle classed, they enjoy priviledges others do not and can fight for their offspring to get the best education in ways others cannot, while they earn more than the nation average so I'll put my tiniest violin away with their "looking after he poor poor" mantra... Most of them have never stepped inside the shoes of a really poor working class person but can tell them what's best for them from a place of security

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  14. Ivartheboneless

Except none of that happened within 40 years. But you probably read it with all the other lies the Tories get their news media mogul friends (who don't even live in the uk) to print day after day.

ajrowing likes this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

There is going to be no Brexit, oh that is good news for a change.

16. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I'm not a Labour supporter, nor will I be voting for them next week.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Misguided? Judging by what you have just written - you need guidance.

18. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

We are very lucky to have you here to guide us then.

19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Even though Jeremy Stalin has promised me a vote after he and his gang get in, I can't imagine ever using it to vote Labour.
    All that sneering, all that feeling superior, all that hating people; it's too much like work. I just don't think enough of myself or so little of others that I could do it.

needabreak likes this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Well, that is it, is it not? The Left can't win on the arguments but why bother if you can win on the intimidation, the shaming, the legalistic trickery and the phony baloney promises?

needabreak likes this.