1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Dead Room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by aspensquiver_2, Jan 3, 2016.

1. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

What is it that makes a room appear to be a dead one like those rooms you might see in a new-build show house?
    Or to put it another way, what does a room require in order for it to be inviting and interesting - as opposed to being featureless?

2. aspensquiver_2

A real fire.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Dead room: absence of any plants.

cissy3, coffeekid and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  4. aspensquiver_2

I will be back! Got lots of ideas.

:)

5. aspensquiver_2

A real room has to have evolved.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Nice things that don't all match perfectly.
    Pets.
    A great big telly attached to the wall.
    ;)

aspensquiver_2 and coffeekid like this.
  7. smoothnewt

Interesting room: lots of books on shelves and spilling onto other surfaces.

Dead room: coffee table with strategically placed and carefully positioned "coffee table" books.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

And sticks in a vase

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I think a living room (if that's the opposite) evokes some sort of personal response. You can imagine being in that room and doing stuff.

10. aspensquiver_2

Oh yes, the sticks. Or those sticks in an oily stuff in a glass, bottled-shaped container? They give me hayfever.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Is that living plants as opposed to slowly dying ones, decapitated and left to wither in vases?

I would extend that to the entire house and street. My nightmare would be to move into a brand new house on a brand new estate with nothing but freshly-planted trees dotted about. Each to their own of course, but that's my view.

I would say an interesting 'living' room has personal things within it that spark conversation, especially items from the past. Some pictures & photos should be personal, not just stock/iconic prints bought en masse from a store chain.

I've got mixed feelings about books on display - I'm not into the coffee table book mentality at all, but when I see the full range of personal reading matter on a wall shelf I sometimes think 'Jeez' when I contemplate some of the titles. It rarely does the owner any favours in my estimations. I doubt if my personal selection would say much for me either.

cissy3 and coffeekid like this.
  12. aspensquiver_2

I think that was my starting thought - books. A room without lots of books is weird. Some people don't even have pens lying about. Don't like books in the loo, though. Step too far.

13. aspensquiver_2

Agree totally. I can look around and tell you - should you wish to know!! - where that came from or this came from. Evolution. It's the opposite end of the scale from the bought-in IKEA type room.

14. aspensquiver_2

A room in which people are comfortable is comfortable because it gives them information about you and your personality and your stance on life to some extent. Imo

ilovesooty likes this.
  15. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've got two rooms for sitting in, the estate agent called them Lounge and Drawing Room, and one of them has many books but no TV, the other has a TV and just a few books. I think the "Drawing Room" might feel a bit dead to some people as it looks less lived in, largely because it's really only me that uses it I.e. it's tidy! It has lots of personality but isn't, perhaps, as welcoming as I'd like and don't know why. I'll be watching this thread and taking notes :)

16. smoothnewt

Near to us they have knocked down some retirement flats and built some houses on the site. They don't even have the freshly-planted trees, yet, and driving by they really do look like some kind of CGI constructs. They just do not look real, especially as they are situated in the middle of a long-established 1930s area of housing.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm sure I'm going to offend some people who read this - but I loathe the 'big telly attached to the wall' with a vengeance.

18. smoothnewt

We have something similar: a front room with TV and sofas, and a back room with loads of books, CDs, sound system and computer. It has one sofa facing the French windows and looking out onto the garden. It is a kind of music / reading room.

19. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I love having my quiet room to read and listen to music in and will miss it when I move :(. I need to downsize this year as it's just ridiculous to have a house this size with just 3 of us in it. It'll be a sad day when I leave this place behind.

20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My mother likes everything new. Her house is indeed like the show-home mentioned. It's like a prop as opposed to somewhere to live. It makes me feel very uncomfortable (not just me - my aunt and cousins joke about it) but she loves it and if she loves it, that's the important thing.

Personally, I like lots of plants, lots of rugs, art on the walls and lamps. My favourite room has to be the front room - it has the piano, lots of books and the dining table. It's nice and calm, and because our old mutt doesn't go in there much, it's a dog-hair free zone. :- )

cissy3 and aspensquiver_2 like this.