1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A day in your life, Ghana

Discussion in 'Geography' started by charmedimsure, Feb 25, 2011.

1. My son is in yr 9 and has Aspergers. The class has been set an assessment for half term holiday and he is really struggling. They are to put themselves in the place of somebody called Grace from Ghana and describe ' A day in your life'. They have to explain what have been the causes of poverty, the impacts and how to make Grace's life more sustainable. The first problem is that he finds it almost impossible to 'put himself' in others lives. How they might feel etc. means little to him. Do you think it would be acceptable for him to write a factual rather than a personal account? He has spent hours and hours looking at various sites and has gone into too much detail (I think!) on somethings and has completely missed the point of others. He has found nothing he understands very well about how to make life more sustainable. Does anyone have any links that might be easier for him to understand?
    The assessment was supposed to be a formal letter to a pen pal in England and is supposed to contain graphs, diagrams and maps. He said 'why would you put those things in a letter to a pen pal!'
    He usually works at between level 5 and level 7 depending on whether the topic has sparked his interest. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. We were supposed to be going out today but he won't go until he has finished this work.

2. My son is in yr 9 and has Aspergers. The class has been set an assessment for half term holiday and he is really struggling. They are to put themselves in the place of somebody called Grace from Ghana and describe ' A day in your life'. They have to explain what have been the causes of poverty, the impacts and how to make Grace's life more sustainable. The first problem is that he finds it almost impossible to 'put himself' in others lives. How they might feel etc. means little to him. Do you think it would be acceptable for him to write a factual rather than a personal account? He has spent hours and hours looking at various sites and has gone into too much detail (I think!) on somethings and has completely missed the point of others. He has found nothing he understands very well about how to make life more sustainable. Does anyone have any links that might be easier for him to understand?
    The assessment was supposed to be a formal letter to a pen pal in England and is supposed to contain graphs, diagrams and maps. He said 'why would you put those things in a letter to a pen pal!'
    He usually works at between level 5 and level 7 depending on whether the topic has sparked his interest. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. We were supposed to be going out today but he won't go until he has finished this work.

3. Including graphs or maps is about ticking a box in the level criteria so he does need to do it, even if it doesn't fit the idea of a letter. Another alternative would be to choose a photograph with a lot of detail and to annotate that. I don't think there would be a problem though to write it as more of a report than a personal letter - the teacher wouldn't be taking account of his needs if they refused to accept that. This looks like a good link to help thinking about sustainability: http://www.skillsspace.co.uk/teachers_zone/geography/default.asp
    Certainly as a teacher I'm always pleased when a student takes their own approach to a piece of work, since they generally have to put more thought into it that way.

4. Thanks so much for your reply. The link was very helpful. I managed to convince son in the end that his teacher was looking for how much he knew and understood about life in Ghana, not his ability to compose a letter to a pen pal.