1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A day in the life of a teacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by arl17, Sep 15, 2019.

1. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

I have always abided by the rule-
    never get up before 7am and never go to bed before 11pm.
    Find a job that is close by therefore.

7.15 Arise
    8am Leave home
    8.05 Arrive and switch on computer.
    10.40 - 11 Break in staffroom, tea, chat.
    12.30 - 1.20 Lunch in staffroom.
    3.20 School ends
    3.40 / 4pm Leave school

Mark in free periods and 30 minutes after school.
    No work in evenings or at weekends except when GCSE and A level mocks need to be marked.
    I managed to run a secondary dept with excellent results and only worked 1.5 hours for 3 evenings per week for years.
    Duck and dive, find a way or find another job.

2. mountainchris2

mountainchris2 New commenter

7.24 alarm! Wallace and Gromit style!
    8.00 leave house.
    8.15 arrive at work, check emails, last minute jobs finished.
    8.50 children arrive
    Lessons until 12.00 - make sure everything is in order for afternoon lessons. Leave work anywhere between 5.30 - 8.30 pm. Everything marked, planned and photocopied for next day before I leave. Sometimes leave a bit later, as I have key for building and room. Have been pretty unhealthy in work balance recently and have left 5 or 6 times just before 10 pm and sometimes spend many hours in there on Sundays (it's something I am desperately trying to address).
    We are being monitored for absolutely everything at the moment and feel like I have to tick a million boxes! I'm part time, hut am working well over full time hours at the moment. I know it's me that has to address this, but it's that fear of not living up to what is being asked of you.

3. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

5.20 - alarm goes off, wash, coffee, catch up with stuff on the internet.
    6.10 - leave house to walk to bus stop, catch bus at 6.20 ish. A good half hour reading on the bus.
    7.00 - breakfast at school, make sure everything is ready for the day, marking
    8.40 to 10.55 - lessons
    10.55 to 11.15 - break - coffee and banana, chat to colleagues
    11.15 to 1.15 - lessons
    1.15 to 1.55 - lunch - nip out for a cigarette, eat lunch, more chat
    1.55 to 3.10 - lessons.
    3.10 to 5.00 ish - mark frantically so I don't have to take stuff home.
    5ish - walk to bus stop, another half hour reading on the bus, usually home by 6 - 6.30.

I used to think I would hate getting the bus, but I have come to really value the hour or so "me-time" with the Kindle.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My first job - I had to commute by train. I hated it at first but actually I began to look forward to the journey home because it was actually quite relaxing.

Wouldn't do it now though.

SundaeTrifle and agathamorse like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Totally unacceptable to set an alarm for a time that isn't on the five minutes. 7.20 or 7.25 would be fine, 7.24 is NOT!

Would ruin my day completely if mine went off at such a silly time.

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

and when im on a support plan for not following school policies and as I live in the sticks the nearest school is a further 20 miles away from where I live what do I do?

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Quite!

There are several posters who often post things like 'well don't do it.' or 'Well I never did that.' or 'just ignore the instruction.' or ''just tell them you aren't going to.' However almost none of them currently have permanent posts as teachers in schools and several of them haven't for quite some time.
    Refusing to follow directives from leadership is a disciplinary offence...not worth it.

Living in the sticks has many, many advantages and I'd not swap it for the world. However, it does mean the choice of school is limited.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Mine's set for 7:19, which means that after the 10 minute snooze, I should be able to check my daughter is awake at 7:30. Woe betide anyone who tries to wake a 13 year old too late or too early.

mountainchris2 likes this.
  9. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

My three reprobates have settled on 5am for breakfast time, somehow resuming it spontaneously after any routine disruption. Seems to work well, breakfast for them pint of coffee for me, at least 2 hours of computer time and then get up properly and leave at 8. Those morning hours are my most productive and means the hounds get time with me in the morning, sleep most of the day and then time in the evening.

bumchuckle likes this.
  10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

there is not point in people suggesting different strategies. We have to do as we are told. If you are told to teach a certain way or mark a certain way, then that s what you do.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - but you can find different ways to get the job done.

People are not robots.

12. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Is it not all down to organisation on your part?
    When I was a HOF in a struggling school,(the school was struggling before I joined, GCSE results 7%,A*-C), I would organise my work and the department's work and administration, implement new initiatives, to enhance results and never leave school later than 16:45.
    I would do a couple of hours work every night at home, however, I would fly - fish for Sea Trout, twice per week until 23:45, never any later;work comes first.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I make it a point never to work later than 9 pm on any evening these days.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Within 18 months under my leadership, the Schools' GCSE results, increased from 17.1% to 30.9%.
    Percentage increase 80.1%.
    I would suggest, find an appropriate hobby and enjoy it.
    I'm quite sure my hobby helped me to be an effective |Teacher and HOF.

15. mountainchris2

mountainchris2 New commenter

Yay!

16. IzzyB8288

IzzyB8288 New commenter

6:30am - get up, shower. No time for breakfast
    7:20am- leave for school
    7:30am- arrive school. Set up for the day.
    8:30am - kids arrive
    8:50- 12:00pm- morning lessons
    12:00-1:05pm- marking books. No time for lunch
    1:05-3:30pm- afternoon lessons
    3:30-4:45pm- 2 meetings a week. One SLT, one staff meeting. If not a staff meeting day, marking, set up for tomorrow’s lesson.
    5:45pm- leave school
    5:45-6:00- eat tea
    6:00-10:00- more work. Marking, planning, set up etc. Usually some subject work (I lead English) as no release time is given.

Very, very bitter about the workload at the minute. Because I don’t have children, it feels like myself (and one other member of SLT) are expected to spend their evenings doing work towards their subject as well as whatever marking they have. Told “Well it’s part of the job.”

Supposed to be English lead, fostering a love of reading in children but how can I do that when I physically don’t have time in the day to actually read a book for pleasure myself?

I came to teaching to teach. To inspire a love of learning in the class of 30 eager faces. Instead my passion and drive feel ever slowly depleting.

Advice/consolation would be greatly appreciated.

*Just realised this forum posts the time. Woke up at 3am, my head swarming with to-do lists (yes I do write them down in an attempt to switch off at night). I’ve been reading TES forums in desperation and generally just having a little early morning cry, feeling very sorry for myself.

DexterDexter, agathamorse and arl17 like this.
  17. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You have to get off this treadmill of work now because it is starting to damage your physical and mental health. I suspect that you have convinced yourself that your teaching and the pupils learning can only be good enough if you constantly plan and prepare lessons in huge detail and mark their work in close to the last word on every page.
    Stop, try just teaching, be yourself, let the lessons flow from you. i think you might be surprised at how much teaching you can do and to a very high standard if you just let it happen naturally without excessive planning and prep. You are the lead for English, so just be a leader, set aside 2 hours a week for this, I suspect that you are doing all the planning and prep for you colleagues in this area and they are letting you do it.
    It is hard to change your practices when they have become so ingrained into your psyche but, if you keep working like this you will soon be incapable of working at all.
    Seek help, support, counselling what ever you need. You are not the first teacher to get to this point and you can get through it.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  18. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

I'm really hoping this is not a typical day for you because no one should have to work days like this where it sounds like you don't even have time to eat until early evening. Please look after yourself and seriously consider ways of reducing your workload: being an English lead / Head of Department shouldn't mean doing everything for everyone. There has to be a balance: delegate where appropriate would be my suggestion.

It may be that I have grown to be the cynical teacher in the corner of the staffroom that I'm saying this but - what with a demoralising SLT at the school I'm in, as I've posted elsewhere on this forum - I've come to appreciate that all the extra effort and time one invests as a subject lead / Head of Department is often for very little gain, certainly in terms of gratitude or recognition from SLT. I work predominantly for the benefit of pupils and supporting my colleagues - but even then you need to be good to yourself. Sometimes things are "good enough" without going the extra mile. I was once that teacher / Head of Department who burned the candle at both ends but I'm now realising that our priority as teachers must be our own wellbeing - many schools talk the talk about it but few have wellbeing for staff at their core, alongside wellbeing for the pupils.

I hope there's someone at your school you can talk to and offload with. Colleagues in school can be one of the best forms of support you can find.

Take care of yourself.

HolyMahogany and agathamorse like this.
  19. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

My previous job (which was just over 5 years ago now!)

6am Get up, shower, eat breakfast in a zombie-like state, get dressed
    645am Leave for work
    655am Arrive at work along with two other early bird colleagues. We normally had to wait a couple of minutes at the main entrance for the caretaker to open up.
    7am-745am Get some bits of work done and check my prep for the day's lessons
    745am-8am Field questions and queries from my team
    8am-820am Either a staff briefing with everyone, a HoD briefing or a coffee and chat in the staff room
    825am-1025am Lessons/Meetings/PPA etc
    1025am-1045am Break duty every single day
    1045am-1245am Lessons/Meetings/PPA etc
    1245am-130pm Lunch duty for 20 min twice a week/Interventions once a week for 30 min/Shovel food down for between 10-20 minutes depending on the day
    130pm-255pm Lessons/Meetings/PPA etc
    255pm Kids leave. Running detentions/Meetings/Doing work
    Leave anywhere between 430pm and 6pm each day
    10 min drive home
    Evenings - More work/Eat/Zone out in front of naff TV
    Between 930pm and 1030pm - Bed

The thought of doing that now makes me feel physically sick lol.

My timetable now.
    8am-830am Get up/Shower/Eat a nice breakfast without rushing
    10am - Go out to have a coffee/Go to museums/Shop/Do boring house stuff if I feel like it
    2pm - Go to work and plan/mark/etc and have lunch
    4pm-10pm - Teach 4 classes with 10 min break between each one
    1045pm - Arrive home and chill out

I wouldn't change this new job for the world!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Goodness. Most days, I do no work after 3pm and I'm home by half past three!