1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A cure for truancy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, May 2, 2008.

1. Which they couldn't drink, if chained up ;O)

2. Why do people think that they can get away with doing this sort of stuff? It might be justified for what ever reason, it might be effective, it might be neither. But some parent who can't control their own child decides that they need to suddenly show that they care about their offspring and goes to the press. End result: deputy in trouble. It isn't brain surgery.

3. Sorry, - yes this would be a great cure for truancy!

4. I can't help trying to imagine my HT trying to get our truants into school in the first place to chain them to the tree!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

To be fair - I know it's wrong (thought I'd throw that in) but there are pupils whose truanting is a distinct relief. I know I'm supposed to care, and that I should want them all to attend but often the regular truants are the most disruptive pupils.

I'd not be chaining them up anywhere near the school - perhaps chaining them up at home with the computer just out of reach would be more fun?

6. Or chaining them to their parents for a day?

That would be fun....

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Or chaining up the parents???

C'mon! Lets get creative.

8. LOL, a bit harsh this isn't it. Although there is something to be said abut the way we punish students.

If they were in the real world they would be disciplined, do it again and sacked, sadly with education we have a right to education, and this is taken advantage of. If schools attempt to sort it out by expulsion then they are fined. True where do the kids go though.

What i would say is yes have special schools for them to go to but also charge parents a small fee too. Those on dole, well a cut will do.

Now we will get people harping on oh but the poor will be really badly affected, well you know having a kid has responsibilities and maybe they should have done a bit better.

Harsh but there we go, at least it isn't a slap about.