1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A culture of bullying amongst staff

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by BlackBullet, Jun 24, 2019.

1. BlackBullet

BlackBullet New commenter

Good evening fellow teachers :)

I have been teaching now for 5/6 years and have had some good experiences but also a particularly awful one, involving bullying by my head of department, to add insult to injury, this also involved the subsequent 'brushing under the carpet' approach by the senior leadership team at my school when it got to the point where I made the decision to have a meeting with my hod, deputy head and my union rep. This is the first time I have ever posted... Although I have been a member of TES for 6 years.

I know that there have been endless threads regarding (unfortunately) the negative experiences many teachers have experienced within school in relation to bullying of staff by heads of department and even senior members of staff (people with power/status).

I suppose really, I am seeking advice as to how best to deal with the fact of being in a school, in which there is an overt culture of bullying. Numerous colleagues, both in my own dept and others, have experienced bullying. My question is, how can this issue possibly ever be dealt with when even the headteacher dismisses any complaints that are ever made, whether they be formal or otherwise? I do feel trapped. I know I am a good teacher and work incredibly hard (like so many others) yet; it is so demoralising to know that nothing ever changes or improves...

I would appreciate any of you coming forward with some of your experiences and how you have dealt with similar situations. I have attempted (many times) to seek new employment and always had excellent feedback, but unfortunately miss out every time to trainee teachers (obviously trainee teachers are equally deserving of securing a post!! :)) this leads me to wonder whether I'll ever be successful in getting out of the hell hole that is my school. Appearance is everything. Results are everything.

Any advice from experienced or teachers new to the profession would be much welcomed. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post :)

2. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

Welcome; sorry you feel how you do.

Sadly teaching is not the job it once was. I myself have found the changes hard to adapt to. Many teachers feel increasingly unsupported in the new system of micro management and target culture.

Bullying comes in many forms. Sometimes obvious sometimes cloaked in smiles and support. You need a thick skin these days.

Some see bullying as managing performance, some manage performance so badly it seems like bullying the lack of communication makes it difficult to decide.

The truth is you have to make your own decisions based on how you feel.
    My experience is that unions will not tackle a headteacher any longer.

So you are on your own in many’s ways the simple answer is find a new school you will be happier.

Another factor is cost sadly many teachers are finding themselves targets sooner than ever a lot of ups3 staff have been forced out. So now even those approaching ups will find themselves targets.

Without knowing your exact position it is difficult to comment but for your mental health don’t put up with a bully

Take the higher ground, leave with a clean reference and find new ground

Good luck

Mr w

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

How do you define bullying ? I know this is a term often deployed by colleagues in these threads but I suspect it is open to interpretation?

BlackBullet likes this.
  4. EGO8

EGO8 New commenter

Hi, are you able to flesh out the incidence of bullying you experience? Tell us a bit more.
    If not, '' Take the higher ground, leave with a clean reference and find new ground".

BlackBullet likes this.