1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A Cultural Icon or a National Treasure?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 21, 2016.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Is there a difference between a cultural icon and a National treasure? Which of either would you choose for the UK and why?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

National Treasure sounds sort of cosy. Like Mary Berry.
    Cultural Icon is more David Bowie.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

National Treasures can be like Dot off Eastenders - not particularly cultural!
    I would choose the deep fried pizza as a cultural icon.

coffeekid likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Cultural icon. They have to be dead. I don't think Bowie would have got the accolade when alive. But I think it's perfect now.

Also Mary Berry for Treasure.

Cultural icons must be dead. Like Eric Morecambe. He's both.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just simplistic media labels...

After all I'm fairly sure the term 'National Treasure' was once applied to Rolf Harris and Savile. Pinch of salt always.

One of the problems at the BBC was being overly deferential to their stars... I don't feel like doing the same in my world.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Alan Bennett could be both but I'd prefer to honour him with the Cultural Icon label and he's not dead. Les Dawson would work too.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Stephen Fry was once thus described...
    Hmm

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It depends on your point of view, and in some cases your sense of humour. Michael parkinson when he was a top interviewer might have qualified for one of them, but he has not been doing that for a good while and only crops up on very dodgy adverts for ripoff funeral insurance, hence he is just a (insert insulting name here).

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Quick with the sick bucket!

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I've seen Anne Widdecombe described as a national treasure. :eek:

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I don't this she is Strictly :)

ScotSEN likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I thought a national treasure was a person and a cultural icon was a building or an inanimate object of some kind. I can't think when I have heard of a person referred to as a cultural icon. It's more something like the V&A museum or the Angel of the North.

13. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

There is only one National Treasure and that is David Attenborough. When he goes I am prepared to accept Judy Dench.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  14. JosieWhitehead

Perhaps a national treasure, or even an icon (but I'm not sure about a cultural icon) could be the oak tree, or a Herefordshire bull, or what about a cup of tea? ha ha Other than that there is always a corn dolly or a scone. The scone is my cultural treasure for certain and I have no room in my home for the bull. Perhaps a British Bulldog? Is the Queen a National Treasure - - or I'm sure Prince George is.

15. JosieWhitehead

Or Norris on Coronation Street? Or Ena Sharples with her hairnet on?

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Since when did cultural icons and national treasures cease to be inanimate?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as I'm concerned all of these human imposters can wait a few more centuries before they're considered worthy of either title.

JosieWhitehead likes this.