1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A cryptic question about work sickness and the law

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Torey, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I'd ring your union up and ask. I guess if that situation arose and work had taken OH advice you would still be paid and I'd just make sure that it isn't recorded as sick leave.

2. I haven't broken a bone but I did tear my cartilage and had to use crutches for several weeks. I came into work but as I taught a practical subject, it was not without its difficulties. However the ladies' loos were down a flight of stairs and I tripped on the crutches and fell down them so the H&S person and the union rep at work told me to go home and stay home and I would receive sick pay. HT was not amused.

3. yes theres a chance that this could happen after calling for a "hello hows things chat" with the head. which left me pretty upset (i'm an over thinker and obviously not on top form anyway).
    so as i would be on half pay if i can't go back when i want to and when the doctors want me to, i want to ensure that anytime the head thinks i need off would be like a suspended on full pay as its not exactly my fault that they think i couldn't manage the job.
    i find it hard to explain as i've had loads of calls of "come back soon" "we're coping but get well soon as its manic"
    then today i said if i can't drive i can get a lift - "why can't you drive straight away?" i explained this and got "if you can't drive you can't work"
    when i said that i might be on a single crutch for a while "no, i want people who are fit you can't come in on a crutch, there isn't room."

4. i wouldn't go to work swinging around on 2, just one for support and that would be it a bit of support. so technically i would be safer on one than not at all.

5. It wasn't too bad, I was only in plaster for about a month. I was at college in 1979 when I broke it, I was a PE student! When they took the plaster off they just said 'off you go', I had no physiotherapy and could hardly walk, I think I got a taxi back to my flat in floods of tears; I wanted my mum!!

6. You're a trip hazard, kangaroo_poop.

7. then in that case having legs is a trip hazard.
    i'd not be so peed off if it had been put in a more polite manner

8. woke up still feeling peed off about the way it was phrased towards me. i'm going for coffee today with a collegue who is the only person to have stayed touch regularly. will have to be careful i don't let on how annoyed i am.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Your questions didn't seem very cryptic to me. Am I missing something?

10. You're peed off and annoyed. Why? Surely it would be better for all concerned if you were to take the time to recover completely. Your HT isn't going to be best pleased if you are going to need time off as and when because you can't cope with hobbling round school.
    Be sensible and get better before you go back.

11. i wan't ask cryptic as i thought i was going to be!
    i am being sensible but the fact is that i could be fit for my job but not fit in the eyes of the school. this could go on to the point where i am down to no sick pay at all.

12. I went into school thinking I would be safer on one.
    I wasn't!

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Yes, if your HT or OH feel it would be too risky to have you on the premises. And if you were to go in before being fully healed you'll just royally p*ss everyone off if you have to go sick again.

I doubt any reputable doctor would give you a fit note just because your sick pay's run out. If the doctor recommends adjustments the school may not be able to comply with them anyway.

14. in which case what happens then?

15. Torey

The fit notes only make suggestions for the school. I think you are saying that you want to go back because you are worried about pay, but school/OH know that it is not appropriate?
    Do you have personal insurance to cover your mortgage e.t.c? I'm sure you would get statutory sick pay, but I doubt it is very much.

16. there is an element of pay to it.
    i wouldn't go back if i wasn't capable.
    i've been told there is a high possibility of developing arthiritis (sp?) so if i permanantly or regularly needed a stick i wouldn't be allowed to work?

17. Torey

If you need a stick for the long term then they would look at whether you can work if reasonable adjustments are made and the situation would be different to short term use of crutches.
    I think you need to discuss the situation properly with your union if there is a disagreement with work and your GP.

18. That's odd because we have a member of staff who is disabled and she uses one crutch all the time!

19. thats my point, i really don't think that this can be said. I think its being handled as sick and not a disability (it could last for up to 2 years so technically counts as a disability)
    i'd be really interested to hear if anyone knows or is a person with a similar disability particularly in early years.

20. Torey

If it counts as a disability then go to OH and see what adjustments need to be made to return. Do you think that you could do your job in early years with a crutch?