1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A couple of maternity questions...

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tigsley, May 12, 2011.

1. I am currently on maternity - before I left I worked 3 days a week - Wed to Friday. When I return (after 52 weeks mat leave) will I return to the same work pattern - or could school insist on changing it?

Would it make a difference if the school became an academy?

Thanks

(sorry for spelling/grammer.. I'm one sleep deprived lady :) )

2. if your contract states wed-fri then you should return wed-fti. if your contract states 0.6 or 3 whole days, then they could change it.
    not sureabout the academy thing. no experience

3. I've never been given a contract - I guess that leaves me vunerable :(
    The union told me not to worry because I've been working part time for 2 years ... but I guess it could be up for discussion

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I think it would be wise to contact the head, perhaps saying that you are beginning to arrange childcare, and will assume that you will continue to be working Wednesday to Friday. That way, you've at least flagged up the fact that they need to talk to you if they do want to change your days. Whether they're entitled to is unclear, without the contract, but even if they are, they need to realise that childcare arrangements have to be made in good time.