1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A confused President?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Oct 15, 2018.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Trump's latest interview with CBS's 60 Minutes has thrown up some interesting comments:
    • Said that "the day before" he took office the US had been on the verge of "going to war with North Korea"
    Did we miss this?
    • Said Russian President Vladimir Putin was "probably" involved in assassinations but added, "I rely on them, it's not in our country"
    What does this mean? It's OK if it's not Americans assassinated? I thought the UK had his full support re the Skripal poisoning?
    • Said Russia had meddled in the 2016 elections but added, "I think China meddled also"
    But he still 'relies' on the Russians? Does he have evidence re China's involvement?
    I thought this appointment had to be made on merit, not partisanship? If he truly feels his speech is what swung the decision, that sounds very wrong to me.
    • Re climate change: He said climate change was a hoax during his election campaign in 2016.
    • Now: "I don't think it's a hoax, I think there's probably a difference," he told journalist Lesley Stahl.
    • "But I don't know that it's manmade. I will say this. I don't want to give trillions and trillions of dollars. I don't want to lose millions and millions of jobs. I don't want to be put at a disadvantage."
    So, a change of mind, but not of policy. To hell with the world, as long as I'm all right (oh dear.....)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45859325

And, from a different report:

Another change of mind?
    On Saturday, Mr Trump threatened Saudi Arabia with "severe punishment" if it emerged that Mr Khashoggi had been killed inside the consulate but ruled out halting big military contracts with Riyadh.

Today:
    US President Donald Trump has suggested "rogue killers" could be behind the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey.

Speaking to reporters after a phone call with King Salman, he said the Saudi leader had firmly denied knowing what had happened to Mr Khashoggi.

What did he expect Salman to say?

Saudi and Turkish investigators have been seen entering the Saudi consulate where Mr Khashoggi was last seen.

Turkish officials believe Mr Khashoggi was murdered in the consulate by Saudi agents nearly two weeks ago but Riyadh has always strongly denied this.

Mr Trump addressed snatched questions from reporters over helicopter engine noise at the White House, describing King Salman's denial as "very, very strong".

"It sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers," he added. "Who knows?"

The president provided no evidence to back his comment.

A Turkish security source has told the BBC that officials have audio and video evidence proving Mr Khashoggi was murdered inside the building.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45863334

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I agree with the sentiments about Trump's personality expressed here:

[​IMG]

Jesmond12, InkyP, emerald52 and 2 others like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

195 countries in the world... yet it's Trump Trump Trump...

Just like Brexit, there should have been one Trump thread and all this stuff could have gone in it.

How many threads on Trump does chelsea2 need to start?

artboyusa likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I don't start them all.

Feel free not to read or comment on them.

Plenty of Brexit threads, I notice.

Alice K and emerald52 like this.
  6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

"I will give you a million dollars to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you're an Indian," said by Trump at a rally in Great Falls, Montana, referring to Senator Elizabeth Warren, who Trump has dismissively called "Pocahontas", and claiming she had invented her native American heritage in order to benefit professionally from it. Well, guess what? Elizabeth Warren has taken the DNA test. It shows high likelihood of Native American heritage dating back six to ten generations. Guess what else? Trump is refusing to pay up. Guess what else else? Trump is denying he ever said the quote I quoted above. For Trump lying comes as easily as breathing to normal people.

Alice K, InkyP, jubilee and 2 others like this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

High likelihood? Somewhere between 0.1 and 1.56% is high likelihood for you?

lexus300 likes this.
  8. MAGAorMIGA

Trump's "Economic Miracle":
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/budget-deficit-ballooned-in-2018-treasury-says/ar-BBOqZIM
    WASHINGTON — The federal budget deficit swelled to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018, the Treasury Department said on Monday, driven in large part by a sharp decline in corporate tax revenues after the Trump tax cuts took effect.

The deficit rose nearly 17 percent year over year, from $666 billion in 2017. It is now on pace to top $1 trillion a year before the next presidential election, according to forecasts from the Trump administration and outside analysts. The deficit for the 2018 fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30, was the largest since 2012, when the economy and federal revenues were still recovering from the depths of the recession.

Administration officials attributed the deficit’s rise to greater federal spending, including the military and domestic spending increases that President Trump approved this year, not the $1.5 trillion tax cut.

So US debt is careering out of control. This will not end well.

9. MAGAorMIGA

High enough.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Trump was never able to run a business succesfuly never mind country.He is nothing more thn a 2nd rate business leader who got elected with saying the words people like and maybe because the Republicians grasped at the wrong straw., Trouble is there is no humbleness within him it seems to acknowledge mistakes and take actionz to rectify problems.Bribing his way out with promises is more his style or shout down an opponent and accuse them of evil or wrong doing.

Mangleworzle and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Really? Does that work in other contexts?
    "Excuse me, here is my winning lottery ticket. Please give me lotsa money".
    "Sorry, but this is not a winning ticket".
    "But I say there's a 0.1 - 1.56% chance its a winner, so pay me. Pay me now".

"How did you do on your exam, Jimmy?"
    "Great! I scored 0.1%. Now I'm going to Harvard!"

Face it, Liz Warren is an academic grifter who exploited equal opportunity regs to gain preferential treatment. She's as Native American as most other Americans and a lot less than many, including me.

Still, its fun making fun of her.
    https://twitter.com/senorrinhatch/status/1051979441835003907

12. MAGAorMIGA

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Confused or not he is likely to win again in 2020 - and by the end of that the Democrats will have control of both houses.

14. eddyjw07

eddyjw07 New commenter

Trump ever mentioned he's been Bankrupt at least 5 times..never paid taxes and his son...I think he's Putin's lost cou-sin

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He's under investigation for tax fraud in New York - it could end up with him and his family forking over loads of cash.

16. MAGAorMIGA

I hope people will point out to him that makes him just like Obama. The thought of Trump as the lamest of lame duck Presidents, having to watch his "achievements" systematically dismantled by Congress might be fun.

17. MAGAorMIGA

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How many of us would fall into that probability?;)

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There is plenty (of alternative) to go round with the psuedo-science gravy train in full swing.