1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A commendation for Tesco phone sales staff.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm frequently among the first to be critical of supermarkets, but when praise is due, I feel it should be given.

My sweetheart wanted a new phone, had taken advice from various people and decided on the model she wanted, so last Friday we went to buy it from Tesco, which she told me had it at a good price.

She had previously purchased an iphone off Amazon, for which she bought a sim card from Tesco, but after using it for a few years, she wanted a bigger screen.

When we arrived at the phone counter and she explained what she was after, the assistant asked what her phone number was to check out how much she was paying and reduced the monthly cost by around 20%. She asked his advice about the phone she was after and whether it was as good as people had told her. He explained how it was better featured than many, but half the cost of the Samsung equivalent.

OK, so when she was happy, I bought it for her as an anniversary present, he set it all up and explained where to find stuff. As someone who spent time in sales, I was impressed that at no stage had he attempted to up-sell a more expensive phone and asked if he'd personally done well from sales this year. He told me he gets no commission from any sales, so can be honest. She wanted a cover for the phone, he told her the best place to get one.

Well, nothing is ever simple, is it? She had to learn the hard way that although her new phone is capable of the same sorts of things her iphone did, the apps she had been using weren't necessarily compatible, but there was more...

Every time she tried to download an app, the phone demanded she enter a password, then google popped up to demand a password, upon which the phone software told her there was a problem with installing the app.

I need to explain here that I am technically savvy and have spent a lifetime solving technical problems but find most things associated with smart phones to be completely pointless in the bigger scheme of things.

I have a smart phone my employer provided, but have no interest in using it for anything other than making and answering calls on. I don't carry it around with me unless I have to; and when I'm not at work, the phone remains on my desk.

I have absolutely no interest in allowing my life to be wasted in getting some pointless phone app to work and getting it to work again once a software update gets downloaded.

Fuxache, I've done my bit, having pushed back the frontiers of technology in the fields of technology I worked in, reached state retirement age and think it's time I had a blow from it all. It's hard enough work sorting out why the latest Firefox update has slowed my browsing to a crawl.

Anyway, back to the Tesco phone sales staff, we went back to Tesco on Christmas Eve with this sodding phone. A different branch as it happens. The guy she spoke to was a genius with phones. If I live to be a thousand, I will never appreciate how he acquired the ability to swipe as fast as he did, or notice where the icons he sought were.

I was impressed by the level of customer service being offered and my sweetheart went away happy. I asked what the lad's name was and who I could recommend he gets a brownie point to in order to further his career, but it seems it isn't that easy.

We had to go back to Tesco with the phone today, because despite the kid kindly sorting out all my sweetheart's previous difficulties, that just opened the door to more problems.

She wrote a list of them. This time I didn't go with her to the phone counter, but wandered off to see if there any bargains to be found, bought a packet of half price fags (joke) and bumped into her elsewhere in the store when she interrupted a conversation I was having with a dolly bird about the price of fish.

It turned out that the lad on the phone counter had said he'd sort it all out for her if she left the phone with him while she did her shopping.

We've been back home for over six hours now and she hasn't once asked for help with her phone, so to my mind, that's not only a success story, it's an accolade to an otherwise unsung hero of excellent customer service.

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Excellent!! :)

Duke of York and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Must admit we've had a our last 2 phones from Tesco and when we have needed it the guys in store can sort out problems really fast.

As for praising staff they usually have cards on customer services that you can fill in and put in a box.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My husband's always been with Tesco and won't change. His level of know-how is lower than a snake's belly so they must set it up very well

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Can I put in a bit of praise for Next's customer services? I sent them a ranty email very late on Saturday night when I discovered a problem with a gift I'd bought there quite a while ago. I had a call on Sunday morning from a very helpful lady who bent over backwards to try and solve my problem. Nothing was too much trouble and she remained calm and pleasant and did indeed offer an acceptable solution. I really couldn't fault her. I wish all companies could have such good customer service. I was really impressed.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

If you still want to pass on your admiration you can do it via their customer satisfaction survey online. I used it a while ago for something.

https://www.tescoviews.com/websurvey/2/execute#/1

As you say, we're always quick to moan and complain - it's nice for everyone involved to hear of such good service.

7. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Younger daughter worked for a jeweller when she was a student , she spent time helping a man choose a gift for his fiancee. He still didn't quite get it right and returned with his sweetheart a few days later to change the gift. He was so pleased with my girls efforts he wrote a glowing letter to head office and returened to give her the biggest bunch of flowers I have ever seen.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A bit different from our fostering agency then, who gave us or three years' service gift after four and a half years, and never gave us the five years one. Makes you feel really valued.