1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A clothing problem with a twist

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WaylonWu, Oct 13, 2015.

1. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Thought I'd start a thread with the "twist" angle. Ha ha! Seriously though this is a slightly embarrassing problem which I'd appreciate some advice on.

A few days ago I bought a pair of pants in a well known high street chain (not sure if you're allowed to mention the name in case it comes under advertising but its initials are TM). I tried them on quickly in the changing room during my lunch hour and they seemed ok if a little tight around a personal area. I hadn't worm them but was about to yesterday when I noticed they seemed even tighter. At first I thought I had put on some weight since buying them but it dawned on me that no one really puts on weight around the area these are tight.

I could of course bring them back and ask for a bigger size but the thing is that the salesman who served me is one of these body building types who looks as if he works out constantly. He's always in the shop and I always seem to get served by him. Now I don't know about you, but you might know of the idea that the bigger the man the smaller his articles are. I know it's a cliche but don't cliches become that when there is a grain of truth in them? A mate said that he probably works out in order to compensate. I know it sounds nasty but it could be true. What would you do - bring them back and brave the embarrassment or keep the pants and only wear them occasionally? They were not cheap. I'm probably stupid to feel embarrassed but hey, I can't help it. Another question - would you even feel embarrassed at all? Your thought please? Thanks.

Vladimir and Eureka! like this.
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are they your only options? Could you not make a piece of conceptual art out of them?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would not feel even an iota embarrassed.

What is embarrassing about buying the wrong trousers? Or changing your mind? Nothing.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Do shops still exchange underwear?!

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't understand why, "These don't fit so I would like to swap them for a different size." is so difficult or embarrassing. After all, you're not going to go along, whack your todger out on the counter and invite admiration.

Are you?
    :eek:

kibosh likes this.
  6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Get a woman friend to return them?

7. WaylonWu

That's an unusual but good idea and one I'd go along with if the pants were cheap.

kibosh likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Take them back and say someone got them for you and inadvertently bought the wrong size.

9. WaylonWu

Nothing and I suppose I could say those were the reasons but the guy's pretty overbearing and interrogative in style. Plus I've been asked in the past the reason for returning an item and would hate to be asked by him. I could lie but not convincingly under the circumstances. I'm guessing you're not a guy but you probably know that for some guys size is an issue and there's a tendency to compensate for it. It could explain his style with male customers.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I assumed this thread was a wind up, then I changed my mind, then changed it again and opted for a neutral but equally 'absurd' response . . . .I just don't get the thing about the tadger size . . .are men really so sensitive towards the feelings of other men that they would rather not 'show them up' by implying their 'article' was bigger? Did I just pick this up wrongly?

11. WaylonWu

Course not. That would be too much for the guy who already seems to have a problem. But see above for the reason for the difficulty.

12. WaylonWu

Good idea. She could say she bought them for a boyfriend.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I presume you mean trousers and not pants.

Just say they don't fit, don't talk about the size of your bits unless you think it might get you somewhere with the hunky bloke.

14. WaylonWu

His attitude problem seems to be with men. I'm guessing that though because I haven't taken any notice with how he is with women. A woman friend is probably the best bet.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ah, do you fancy the salesman, Waylon?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  16. WaylonWu

I didn't think your reply was absurd. Unusual yes, not absurd though.

Yes I think you did because not all men are like that. And you haven't met this guy.

17. WaylonWu

I wouldn't. And he's not my type at all.

18. WaylonWu

No I don't kibosh. I just don't like unnecessary embarrassment.

19. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

But the salesman almost certainly would recognise Waylon , so this is probably not a goer

Better idea I think!

20. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I sympathise with your predicament and lament the demise of hot pants.