1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A chatty and unfocussed Form group - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by little miss funsize, Jan 19, 2014.

1. little miss funsize

little miss funsize New commenter

Dear all,

I am a Head of Year and one of my Year 8 Form groups is just so noisy. Teachers at my school who never have any problems with our students just cannot get them to be quiet and focus. They are all nice individuals, but no matter what seating plan you have them in, they just talk and go off task. I put them on a Form report, asking their teachers for positive and negative comments, and I also tried a buying them breakfast bribe, but it hasn't worked. They admit they know they are too noisy and lack focus, the main culprits even put their hands up to it! Has anyone got any tried and tested methods I could experiment with?

Thank you very much!

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

The only thing left from this list is any mention of sanctions: unfortunately, without some kind of deterrent, we give most children little motivation to be good. I wish human nature were so easily moved by altruism, and maybe it is, but at that age it usually isn't, or at least not enough to make carrots the best incentive.

Set boundaries: set consequences; take name; execute consequences, even if they don;t like them. The investment leads to rewards that live on throughout their lives, but if we fail to give them boundaries early on, we teach them nothing but self-interest.

Good luck

Tom

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I'm an NQT with a Year 9 form group who are driving me nuts.

Like your Year 8s, they're generally OK as individuals and around the school in their lessons, but they don't see the point in form time and hate having to do the activities ALL forms in the school are expected to do (silent reading, inter-form quiz, current affairs discussion) so they don't - they just talk over me and ignore instructions.

Somehow today I had a breakthrough, which I really hope I can keep going.

I brought my own book with me for silent reading, I reminded them that everyone needed to read silently and said that I would take names of anyone I spotted speaking. If they spoke twice, I would put a tally next to their name and this would mean a short dentention tomorrow lunch. Then I sat down and read my book for 15 minutes and they did the same.

I ended up with 5 names on my list, but they were for occasional quiet whispering/giggling, not just sitting chatting, so it was already a massive improvement.

Any tips for how to make the most of this, especially in activities like the quiz where obviously some talking is needed?