1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A case of time and commitment

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ALWatson, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ALWatson

ALWatson New commenter

I have worked as a secondary supply teacher for two years but have recently taken a year off to have a baby. I was getting so missable in secondary schools that I thought I would stop teaching all together after having my son. However I found that I really enjoyed myself around younger children and have seemed to have found a new passion in teaching the Early Years. I therefore thought I might give teaching another go as a reception teacher.

I have returned to work for two weeks however my agency thinks it's very strange that I want to make such a biig change in the age group I teach and so have found me a job teaching year 6. The first problem I have is that I said I would only work two days a week due to my baby however this job is for three days. Because it is for year 6 I have started working voluntary in another school in Reception to get the experience.

I know very little regarding KS2 curriculum and this school appear to expect me to plan as well as teach lessons. This is causing me no end of stress as I spend hours researching the KS2 curriculum before planning. They also don't tell me what bit of KS2 I should be teaching other than a vague 'you are doing Numeracy in the morning' - what part of numeracy? Which doesn't help me stress levels. To top this off I am struggling with being a mum to my little boy and find it very hard to get him ready for childcare and get to the school before 8.30. The school have complained that I don't get there until this time and have asked my agency to make a point that I should arrive there at 8.00 even though lesson's don't start until 8.50. I normally wouldn't moan but this means I have to leave my house at 6.45!...With a baby!

My baby also doesn't sleep more than an hour at a time during the night so I am absolutely exhausted.

I am also expected to take home marking. What with hours of stress planning a subject I know very little about, doing an extra day than I said I would, very little sleep and leaving very early I am feeling very run down. Is all this normal or are they asking me to do too much? What can I do to help my stress levels?

Thanks

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I don't think you should have taken on the three days in year six as it is clearly to much of a change in too little time. From what you write, it would appear that you are also doing voluntary work in reception somewhere else.

Even if you were an experience primary school teacher, you would find three days grueling with a brand new baby plus all the marking.

One positive thing you have going for you is the Easter break is only four days away; during the break you will have time to recharge and get on top of some of the planning. Perhaps you could get a scheme of work from another year six teacher at the school just to give you a quide .

Do you have an husband/partner who is pitching in during the night?

You might also be able to negotiate with the school tomsee if youncan arrive at say 8:15.

In the end, you might to admit you have taken on too much and try to get out of the placement. However, if you can make some adjustments it might be better to try and stick it out until the summer as long as youndont make yourself unwell.

3. ALWatson

ALWatson New commenter

This is just the problem. I have asked three times to see a scheme of work so that I can plan and I haven't seen one. They seem to be more fixated on the time I start than helping me deliver a lesson.

This is not helping knowing what I am doing only one day in advance. I don't have much time to prepare.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If the school is not prepared to help you with amschem of work, then that gives you an even better reason to give the agencyna week's notice.

loueylizzy likes this.
  5. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

This just does not sound like something you want to do! You shouldn't really be surprised that they want you to plan and mark but the school do sound rather unhelpful.

Year 6 experience will not prepare you in any way for EYFS, they are poles apart so there seems to be no reason for you to stick with it. The learning curve is so steep and all for nothing if you just want Early Years. Except money of course... Perhaps your agency thought you just wanted primary, perhaps they just wanted someone to fill a gap.

Could you ask for day to day supply in Early Years initially (I know someone who is getting a decent amount of work that way but it does obviously limit you). If that is where your passion is why waste your time? You will have enough to learn when you get started! Good Luck x