1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A cancer thread whether you've got it or haven't or have family and friends who have it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I haven't so far, but I intend to do it now. I'm not very good with reassuring people who contract cancer, because in my time in the NHS and involvent with radiotherapy, I encountered much misery. When I started in that job in the early 70s, it wasn't so much a case of whether cancer would kill you, but more a case of when.

The first bit of hope that something might change I saw, was when a fairground owner who had been told his cancer had been cured an unlikely to return, drew a wad of money from his pocket to give the consultant radiotherapist, asking that it went towards equipment to help others.

It wasn't enough to go very far towards buying radiotherapy equipment, but the medical physics dept provided lots of support for radiotheraphy, so the consultant gave the money to us and we used it to buy a circular saw, which became invaluable to make the stuff they needed more efficiently. My colleage cynically murmered that it was probably the only tax the fairgound owner had ever paid, but for me, the excitement was about him being the first person I had heard of who had been cured of cancer.

As the years progressed, I heard of many more cases and it's been a pleasure to note that although cancer is still one of the major causes of death, the prognosis for those who acquire it is far better these days than it was when I joined the NHS.

Some fifteen years ago, my sweetheart was diagnosed with cervical cancer. It was an anxious time while they operated on her to remove it, taking away her ovaries in the process for fear they too were suceptible to being infected with the disease as well.

These days she's back to being like a seventeen year old kid again. The age when she broke free of parental control and intends to relive for the rest of her life. She's the first to get people up dancing at a party and will dance with them as long as they can keep up with her.

She wouldn't be doing that if she'd got cervical cancer with complications back in the early 70s when I joined the NHS.

I can only offer you my best wishes, @grumpydogwoman and my the wisdom of my experience., which suggests there is less to fear these days than you might be imagining.

I offer you my very best wishes all the same.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Blinking flip I turn my back on TES for a few hours and I miss all this! S hit news GDW but I have no absolutely doubt you will beat this and be out walking your dogs in your shorts in no time. The weather is supposed to be glorious today so hope you get to sit in your lovely garden and enjoy the sunshine. All my love, OTH xxx 6AFEA94E-35D6-4F57-94D6-E46184FD1251.jpeg

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I tried. Threw my shoulder out... :p

bajan, SundaeTrifle, bevdex and 10 others like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's great. I now have an innocent casualty on my conscience!

And @lanokia too! Arghhhh!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't you go throwing around such slurs... I have a reputation to manage!

6. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Lurker here but just had to say how shocked I was at this news. My dad had lung and bowel cancer ( at separate times) and he's still here. Cancer treatments are improving all the time and they say that positive mental attitude is key. The cancer versus your no nonsense, go get em attitude? It definitely picked the wrong woman to do battle with.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Really sorry to hear your news @grumpydogwoman but I'm sure the cancer will be given a good run for its money:)

8. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Well, you look away for 48 hours and look what gets posted.
    How do you eat an elephant?
    One bite at a time.
    How do you get through this?
    One treatment, one day at a time.
    And you will.

Feel free to "bother", rant, vent spleen, borrow spirit's dragons - whatever.

9. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I haven’t yet. GDW’s posts are always full of insight, practical advice or humour (and often all three), so I wanted to write something significant , but the longer I thought, the more overdue my message seemed to be. So:

GDW, although we have never met, I still feel like I know you and your news has affected me as it would if any of my friends were in your position. With that in mind, please be aware that there is one more person rooting for you. You strike me as a very positive person, and a positive attitude is what is needed. You go, girl x

10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

We only know each other through our posts on these forums but your support and wise words for others have, for me, made you something more than just another poster. I sincerely hope things turn out well for you.

bonxie, agathamorse, Marshall and 9 others like this.
  11. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

From an 11 year breast cancer survivor, I wish you the very best for your treatment and recovery. It’s OK to be scared as well as positive - or even just scared. The waiting for results is the worst part.

12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

@grumpydogwoman
    Just popping in to say Flere sends her best wishes and support to you as well.

13. grumpydogwoman

Thanks all!

Had a bad day. I've a feeling it's going to be little things that wind me up. The district nurses swapped my drainage bag for different ones. Within an hour one blocked up. Then the other one. So I had to go to A and E for the type I'd first had. The urine catheter ones they gave me just didn't let the ascites stuff through. Was it heaving there? Just a bit.

Did it bring out my inner witch? It did. There was I judging everyone else as time-wasters. I'm going to have to watch myself. That is not a gdw I want to be. And poor Her Maj. She has a lousy cold and it has knocked her thyroid levels and she's in a pickle. Exhausted.

Bright side. Neighbours as fab as ever. Managed a short walk with dogs. Hot-water bottles remain one of the best human inventions ever and I don't think, however techno-phisticated we become, they will ever be anything but a huge boon to personkind.

14. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

The difficulty is that OC, despite the publicity, is actually a pretty rare cancer. See, never just one of the crowd, Grumpy! But that means that actually quite a lot of GPs and community nurses have never treated it. Probably not the first time you'll find yourself kicking some medical b*tt. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

15. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Just take it one day at a time GDW. Wishing you all the best. X

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Sorry to read that, GDW. Hope tomorrow is less frustrating.

17. grumpydogwoman

18. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Hope you have a better day xx

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

So sorry to hear this @grumpydogwoman. Thinking of you and your family and sending good wishes.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I just wanted to say thinking of you. I have no experience of this form of cancer but have an amazingly happy tale of another. So do keep heart.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.