1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A cancer thread whether you've got it or haven't or have family and friends who have it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Sep 19, 2019.

1. sagesund

sagesund Occasional commenter

GDW, you have always offered sound advice and are truly an inspiration. Sending a big hug and will be thinking of you in the coming weeks xx

2. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

So sorry to hear your news GDW. It’s such an awful diagnosis but, in our experience, the medics are amazing. I’m in awe of the doctors and nurses that we’ve encountered. They have fought tirelessly on behalf of my husband and, although the treatment is unpleasant, it wasn’t nearly as bad as we imagined. He’s currently in hospital recovering from an operation that, two years ago, we were told couldn’t happen because the cancer was too advanced. People defy the odds all the time. I wish you well with your treatment xx

3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I’ve just caught up with this thread and couldn’t not comment.

As a long time lurker prior to posting now and then over the last couple of years I’ve come to know GDW through her posts and have always found then insightful, humorous and gorgeously blunt. I just want to send you my very best wishes for treatment and the coming months.

As a family we have been through/going through treatments and it’s a tough road to travel but we are still here, still watching Strictly and still walking the dog. So will you be too GWP.

Sending you all the best luck and courage in the world from me to you.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

"Gorgeously blunt"

You make it sound so sexy!

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Very sorry to hear of your troubles. Your spirit is an inspiration.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Oh ********. Sorry you’re going through this GDW. Lots of love to you and yours. X

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Glad you're feeling more comfortable and have eaten.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So sorry to read this GDW.
    I'm a great beleiver in positive mental attitude alongside medical treatment......................and you have a determined grit about you that will tackle head on anything that life throws at you.
    If I were a tumour I'd be bloody scared of you!!
    Sending positive vibes and everything else your way.
    xxxxx

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The trouble with OC symptoms is that they are so general that they just get lumped in with menstrual or menopausal symptoms. Women tend to get a 'less defined waistline' after the neopause and that's why the ascites is not usually detected early.
    More GPs should be tapping the abdomen when women present with a swollen tummy that is not connected to overeating. It was only done at the hospital for my M-I-L and even I could hear the difference sound coming from the fluid-filled area. M-I-L had over 6 litres drained the first time and that was 3 months after initial symptoms and two months after visiting the GP.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There are also only a few doctors in any hospital who are qualified to drain the ascites. You can end up waiting days or weeks for one to be available .

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

So glad you're feeling a bit easier, GDW. I'm sure it's been a tough day, but I've always enjoyed reading your posts and I love your spirit now.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Even if you were chris, Vince or seapink, I wouldn't wish it. So now you can post just wt f you like and defy the mods.

BelleDuJour, vannie, nizebaby and 5 others like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

"But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream".

14. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday New commenter

I know I post rarely, but really wanted to add my best wishes for your treatment and recovery. You're in my thoughts and/or prayers (whichever one you're more comfortable with) and I send you every good wish for the future. You have always taken time to support me on the rare occasions I have posted here, usually when I have been in a total state about something, and I have been so very grateful for that. Sending every possible positive thought to you and your family. Take time to rest and take the very best possible care of yourself.

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just love this. :D ;)

Dragonlady30, Lazycat, bevdex and 9 others like this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is there anyone who hasn't been on here to send good vibes to our dear friend !

17. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

F****** f*** f***. Ridiculously sorry to hear this, @grumpydogwoman. Chin up, bab. You've got this and we've got you.

Sending love. X

18. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Just like to mention that my mum's OC was picked up when she went to the GP about something completely unconnected and he said he didn't like the look of her abdomen, then followed his hunch. And my mum isn't one of life's natural sylphs. Tabloids love a story about cr***y GPs, but usually not deserved.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I did wonder about posting this originally as a lot of people find it too difficult to discuss.

But I decided to let it all hang out as:
    A nobody is forced to comment
    B if I am looking for good advice I'd be beyond stupid not to ask one of the most (OK, THE most) knowledgeable and good-hearted communities of souls that I know

I wasn't wrong either. You have surpassed all expectations with your compassion, encouragement and humour and positive stories.

In the true spirit of primary teaching I want you all to give yourselves a big pat on the back and next Friday afternoon we're having a free-choice Funtime session so you shout out some ideas and I'll write them on the board. You know how much I value it when you make a positive contribution and you've been exceptional this week.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

gdw you have simply not been given our permission for this to turn out the wrong way, so that's it sorted. The presumption of the woman...

Well you know what I mean anyway. We're here for you, as you've been here for so many others. I'm sorry for the tardy response - I took the thread title literally and didn't look in until now. I was singing your praises to Mrs MSB only the other day, and long may it continue.