1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A cancer thread whether you've got it or haven't or have family and friends who have it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I had a relative who had large quantities of fluid drained like this. In their case the cause was liver disease but the result was feeling much more comfortable.

I hope you feel more comfortable soon and they can come up with a plan.

We’re all wishing you the best whilst feeling a bit of the shock. I certainly looked at the world today with different eyes .......

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Hope you're feeling more comfortable now. Important to eat, you can get nutritional drinks on prescription which help. Good to hear that you can have meals microwaved on the ward too. Think of it as medicine even if you don't feel like it.

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Hospitals can be so busy it's not always easy to get enough peace and quiet to sleep or properly relax. I hope you're managing to get some rest so that you can recover from the treatment you've had today and start to feel a bit better now that you've had some of the fluid drained.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hey Grumps... hope the treatment today has done you some good.

Soon those socks will be easily put on!

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I like that Shortening of GDW, I think Grumps will too.

Hop3 you are feeling ok today, Grumps.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

71AGHX4MvLL._SR500,500_.jpg
    Dog socks for you.

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Grumpy - for you.
    Nothing more useful to say, just hearts and being thankful to you for previous support on here.[​IMG]

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are you 60+ yet GDW and entitled to free prescriptions? If not, check whether your canver status entitles you to free prescriptions. Otherwise, get an annual prepaid certificate as you will be taking all sorts of prescribed tablets and nutritional drinks after any chemo that you might be offered.

When you have time to 're-group' after the initial flurry of activity and dealing with the diagnosis, try to speak to the hospital Social Worker to find out what State assistance is available to you. My Mother-in-Law got Attendance Allowance as a State pensioner. Those under State Pension age should have other non-means tested help available.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Sounds like a job for me!

10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes.Well said. I have been fretting and losing sleep over our son’s plans to buy a house with his on / off girlfriend ( I have massive reservations about her / their partnership ) but reading @grumpydogwoman’s post I could just see how ridiculous my frequent / all consuming attack of the vapours have been.It should not take someone ‘s health related ‘bad luck ‘ to rationalise a situation but sadly guilty as charged.

11. jenny_talwarts

jenny_talwarts New commenter

Cancer entitles patients to an exemption certificate for medication.

PIP is the non means-tested benefit. Get a Macmillan worker to help you to fill in the form. How it's completed makes all the difference. It shouldn't, but that's how it is.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Thanks to all!

64!

Home.

3.325 litres so far. Got my bag on me. About 275 ml in there.

I ate a whole fillet of fresh salmon when I got home! A whole fillet. And I'm not full!

How do doctors just let us walk round with getting on for 4 litres stuck on our middles? I had to fight for a week to get this drained but it's been building for months! Some women carry more than this. Imagine 4 litres of water inserted into the space round your heart and lungs etc and you're just told you're constipated. Yes, you are. But only because there's no room for your bowel to function!

They were lovely ( the nurses) in hospital. The entry wound hurts but I'm a better colour already apparently.

You guys are helping me so much and I thank you.

13. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

So sorry to hear you are going through this GDW. A friend had a similar diagnosis around ten years ago and she's made a complete recovery. Trust in the medics. Keeping you in my thoughts.

14. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Ah, glad you're home, Grumpy and glad you have eaten!

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

5 years till the special age ;)

16. josienig

josienig Lead commenter

Sorry to hear that news @grumpydog..best of luck with the treatment x

17. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I am late to this thread but wanted to say I am so sorry to hear this, and I am sending lots of good thoughts your way.
    As others have said, do contact Macmillan - we have found them a great support (my flatmate, though not a laydee, is currently undergoing treatment for cancer). If you do apply for PIP, the advice we were given was to fill in the forms as if it was your worst day. Again, Macmillan were very helpful there. A year ago when he was diagnosed, it felt like the world had come crashing down, but he's still here, and we have adjusted to "the new normal". We just try and take one day at a time.
    I am thinking of you and your family x

18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Glad there’s an immediate improvement, GDW.

My relative had to return a few times to the GP. They were passed over for being getting on a bit (70s) and overweight. The final time they were seen by the senior practice GP who went and tore a strip off the junior GP for missing a life threatening condition.

Onward and upward.

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's the sort of positive results we need to hear about. :)

Glad you're back home and sounds as if you're feeling 'easier'. I suppose GPs can't be experts in everything but still, a misdiagnosis like that could be really important as I do know the earlier anything is picked up the better the prognosis.

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Yes, good to hear you’re home. I expect you to be sitting in state, surrounded by the dogs and giving everyone their orders/ directing operations!

May you continue to be a better colour and feel better and better.