1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A cancer thread whether you've got it or haven't or have family and friends who have it

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Sep 19, 2019.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Any advice or encouragement, please?

Found out Tuesday my bad bowel problems aren't actually a colonic issue. It's ovarian cancer. I have the hugely swollen belly to go with it and am going in for a tap tomorrow. Breathing is SO hard. So I've read enough to realise it's stage 3 or 4. I have a pelvic mass that was found on the MRI we paid for ourselves.

Good news is I can go to a Birmingham hospital and they have one of the best survival rates in the country but I'm having a CT scan on Wednesday and obviously no date to be admitted or any ideas if I'll be offered surgery and chemo.

So. Anyone got any positive stories? Bit of encouragement? Or shall I start giving my stuff away right now? Ta muchly!

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I clicked on the thread anyway.

I can’t give you any advice unfortunately but I can give you my best wishes and I hope that things go well for you.

Stay strong. (Heart emoji)

3. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I don't have any stories but I just wanted to say I was thinking of you. Treatment regimes are so much more effective these days. I hope the hospital will sort you out with some speedy treatment.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not a lay-dee but that doesn't stop me from expressing the hope that you are returned to full health in the course of time.

You will be in the thoughts of many of us.

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Really sorry to hear this. My ex-colleague was diagnosed in 2009 or so. She's fought and campaigned for her medication but she's still doing well despite several rounds of chemo and I've seen a few glamorous beach pictures of her on holiday over the years. She has bad bouts but a decent quality of life overall and she's still here.

Thinking of you.

6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

You have a cradle of support here. We won't let you fall.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Lots of loveliness! That's doing me good already!

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Oh goodness- sorry to hear this, Grumpy - related in your usual upbeat way as well! Wishing you good luck for next week and do keep us informed. Hugs, paws and purrs.

9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Very sorry to read this. I don't personally know anyone who has had it. My cousin had Stage 4 breast cancer many, many years ago and swears by the book by Jane Plant, Your Life in Your Hands (discusses ovarian cancer too). I'm guessing that you'll be going to the QE, so will be in good hands. Treatment is improving all the time.

You've supported many people here over the years, so you know you'll be supported here yourself now.

10. Brunel

Brunel Senior commenter

Sorry to read your bad news. As someone on the other side of the fence as it were (with a cancer that lay-deez don’t get) I can say that chemo hasn’t been nearly as bad as I expected. And that I’ve been impressed with the care provided by the NHS.
    Best wishes.

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

No experience I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run.
    I am sorry to read your news. Thinking of you.

12. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

No advice or experience just love and hugs.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Bloody hell, grumpy! So very sorry to hear this!

Stop googling - it does no good and just scares the life out of you. The Macmillan website is the one to look at, if any.

I absolutely know the hell you're going through, because we're on a similar journey chez moi (Mr D, not me). Fortunately, the prognosis is very good. Fingers crossed...

There's lots they can do, grumpy. Your sense of humour will help you, without a doubt. We'll all be cheering you on, my love.

Rant and rave on here. We're ready for it. Xxx

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

From what I know recently the surgeons and staff at B’ham are amazing.....so you will be in very good hands and dealt with quickly if need be. Remember you don’t always have to be strong on here so wail and do whatever else you need to do and know you will be thought of and supported. Just remember to shout out if you need!
    I know you don’t do hugs but you can’t avoid a virtual one!

15. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Oh grumpy, I am so very sorry to hear this.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

We are all here to support you.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

So sorry to hear this, but you're our GDW and we're unlikely to let you go any time soon.:D:D Hope everything goes to plan tomorrow. Keep us posted. Hugs, hugs and more hugs.

17. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

My mum had OC 9 years ago. Had fairly radical surgery but no chemo and is hale and hearty to this day. Remember the consultant saying to her at discharge not to overdo things. No heavy gardening or housework. Maybe just a little light dusting would be OK. That's strange, I said to her, because I don't think you ever did a single stroke of dusting heavy or light before you got ill. Really important not to panic. Bad swelling with her was a sign of fluid, and fluid often means a lower grade tumour. Wishing you all the best.

18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I can’t add anything more except my good wishes to everyone else’s. I hope they find some good treatment for you.

We’re here. Any time you want.

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry to read this, and wishing you well. You have given positive support to many of us.
    Treatments are improving. I have had chemo. It was unpleasant at times, but means I'm still here.
    Good luck.

20. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

All I can say is I'm thinking of you. And fight all the way.