1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A campaign against large polluting car adverts

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 4, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53607147

About time too.

"A new campaign called "Badvertising" is demanding an immediate end to adverts for large polluting cars.
    It says the government should clamp down on sports utility vehicle (SUV) car adverts in the way it curbed smoking ads.

[​IMG]

In urban areas, big SUVs are a particular nuisance, they say. Their report found that 150,000 new cars on the road are too big for a standard UK street parking space.

It comes as local authorities strive to create space on the roads for walkers and cyclists.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

A good idea, but not in isolation. There are a whole raft of things that need to be done. It could start with an admission that the government were misled over diesel, and allowed/allows themselves to be lobbied by car manufacturers. So of course it ain't going to happen. The safety groups are at fault as well in causing the creation of bigger, heavier, stronger vehicles for safety reasons, rather than the enforced pursuit of lightness with safety (which is very possible). As to the above examples of the mini; it was the safety aspects that killed the original mini, and many other lighter cars that were adequate as daily transport.

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

How about we let grown up people decide what kind of car they want to drive on the condition that they don't tell other people what kind of car they should drive?

4. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I agree, a complete ban on advertising would be an excellent idea.

ShowerGel and Scintillant like this.
  5. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

If anyone could drive whatever they wanted, there's bound to be some idiots who'd want a Yank car. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...k-american-cars-trump-liz-truss-a9626111.html

"Safety experts have urged the government to exclude US car imports from any post-Brexit trade deal with Donald Trump, warning that they have lower safety standards.

The Parliamentary Advisory Council on Transport Safety says imported vehicles should still have to meet British standards for collisions with pedestrians, children, and people on bikes – which many US vehicles do not."

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I'd be happy to drive a Tesla. The only Limey cars available are Morgan, Caterham and McLaren.

needabreak likes this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If they only produce minimal CO2, then fine.

ajrowing and needabreak like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That merc might be a good carping wagon.

ajrowing likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I agree but I can't get a roof rack and tow-bar for my Ferrari so that I can use it to take me fishing.

ajrowing likes this.
  10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Interestingly some SUVs are hybrid so might be less polluting than what any of us are currently driving, thus we should perhaps be more specific in our critique and not let our own prejudices colour our perception/views.

11. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Cars have increased in size mainly because of safety requirements and improved safety technology.
    Cars such as the VW Beetle and The Mini stopped being sold because of safety regulations. You can’t buy and drive a Tata Nano in Europe. Conversely Astras\Kadets couldn’t make it into the Indian market for being too over-engineered and heavy on fuel consumption.
    Car design also meets the transportation profile of a market. German cars have hard suspension, French soft.
    A small car in a city is more desirable than a large car; people driving large cars in towns is a reflection of a defensive mindset and wishing to protect from perceived dangers of the city. That’s not an automotive problem, it’s a social one.
    It’s really got nothing to do with how the product at the end of all these variables is advertised.

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

A single cow produces more greenhouse gas emissions than any SUV. Ban adverts for cows I say.

agathamorse, artboyusa and alex_teccy like this.
  13. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

The adverts I'd like to ban first are those for gambling. Especially online gambling.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Hang about.
    Let me get this right.
    You are championing an idea which makes no attempt to conceal support for the promotion of cycling and the rights and needs of cyclists?

Well. I believe this forum's job is done.

ajrowing and LondonCanary like this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yes. Those adverts are beyond naff. And the thought of people doing what they want with their own money is repugnant.

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I'm finding London roads to be increasingly single lane roads due to the increasing size of vehicles that are both moving and parked . The problem made worse by the number of vans. Its personal choice but there is a limit to space for parking and driving. SUVs often seem an impractical vehicle for congested cities.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Of course they are. Ugly too. But I'm not going to tell anyone they can't own one.

18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

In which case a non-SUV hybrid car would be even less polluting.

ajrowing likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Not all greenhouse gases act in the same way.

People need educating on climate change very quickly.

ShowerGel likes this.
  20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Possibly but that is not an option in the OP link just the assumption that larger cars are more polluting than smaller ones and that SUVs are the worst polluting cars, which is clearly too simplistic.

We could for example look into which type of pollution we consider worse, particulate matter or CO2 depending on location, length of the run and mpg... then compare diesel and petrol... or we can look at the impact of battery production and disposal vs diesel and petrol considering mileage, additional infrastructure requirements, upgrades and spent fuel rod disposal. Its obviously rather more complex than we'd like to believe.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    agathamorse and border_walker like this.