1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A calming activity straight after dinner for hyper class

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrszzz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have just started in a reception class. To say that the class are hyper straight after dinner would not do them justice. Even taking the register has been a problem. Do you have a calming activity or whiteboard game just to bring them down a little.
    Thanks for any advice

2. Hi
    I have just started in a reception class. To say that the class are hyper straight after dinner would not do them justice. Even taking the register has been a problem. Do you have a calming activity or whiteboard game just to bring them down a little.
    Thanks for any advice

3. Hi Mrs,
    'Relax Kids' http://www.relaxkids.com/ has some interesting calming stuff that you could explore. I have used it with Reception and they enjoyed it.
    Coming into calming music, maybe sitting down and drawing to it.
    You could scan in a detailed picture for the whiteboard and they could play I spy using letter/colour clues.
    Do you think its something they're eating at lunchtime?
    Good luck Eve

4. I know it sound counter-intuitive, but we used to do wake up shake up after lunch to use up some of that energy! The last bit of the video, after vigorous exercise, showed some stretches and slower relaxing moves which led naturally into sitting down and being ready.

5. We do reading time straight after lunch. Children can choose any book from the bookcase and bring it to look at on the carpet. They can change their book as they wish. They sit quietly but not in silence- they talk quietly about their books.
    I do the register by looking around the carpet and checking for each child. They don't have to stop what they are doing. Reading time lasts about 10 mins.

6. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

We do hand massage with nusrery towards the end of the day when they are getting very giddy. They know who their partners are and they use a little bit of lavender cream (premission given) and .massage each others hands in turn to soft relaxation music. Perfect end to each day , but would work for after luch to