1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A call to action against poor behaviour in schools and the prevalence of useless "policies" preventing teachers doing their job

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by angry jedi, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Another appalling example of behaviour and the fact that people are willing to just "let it slide":

https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

jamie.edward.saunder - if MPs and the general public know about "indiscipline" (which is far too tame a word to describe the bedlam in modern schools) in the classroom - why is nothing done about it?

2. Lots of things are "done about it", i.e. exclusions, detentions, calling in parents, setting chores and outside of school ASBOs, courts, police etc. They are not very effective strategies.

Effective schools

1. Focus closely on teaching and learning.

2. Have a highly consultative and collaborative style of leadership including with pupils.

3. Listen and respect pupils.

Pupils misbehave in schools, they feel don't respect them very much. I'm sorry to say this but teachers look to themselves more. I had discipline problems when I first started teaching. I gradually overcame it by saying to boys (I taught in boys' schools), now what do you have to say for yourself? I learnt from my pupils including the naughty ones. Now I am an Assistant Head. Teachers should stop taking discipline problems personally and see it as an opportunity for profesional and personal development.

3. The original post raises a number of very important issues and has vented many of the frustrations I have felt myself. Whilst I agree teachers should look to their own role when in comes to improving discipline, my concern with focussing entirely on teaching and learning is that once again responsibility for poor behaviour is taken away from the students and shifted more and more towards the teacher. The teaching and learning as the key to good behaviour in schools argument is in my opinion very limited. In the school in which I currently work many of the staff who are considered by students and colleagues to maintain the highest standards of behaviour in lessons rarely use a variety of teaching and learning styles but instead are always consistent in following school rewards and sanctions. It also interests me as to why many teachers who are known and seen to be using very topical and current teaching and learning styles have the most problems with poor student behaviour. This particularly refers to NQT's who surely are the most up to date with current best practice re: teaching and learning?
    I am finding like many in the profession that the current climate whereby little or no decisive action actually takes place in dealing with poor behaviour is what I hate to say, has got me thinking about alternative careers. This is very disppointing for someone with massive enthusiasm towards the job and a genuine passion for working with young people and seeing them acheiving their goals. I am of an age whereby I was taught in a comprehensive school where inclusive policies were in place so not only have I sat in lessons that were not testing enough because the teacher was 'otherwise engaged' I am now also having to witness this happening to other hard working students in my current school where I am now obviously a teacher and I cant help buut feel that they are being failed by the system. I personally believe myself to have very few discipline problems (I say this now, bound to change having said that!) and I believe that it is partly due to my passion for the profession and willingness to try a variety of teaching and learning styles but more importantly because I insist on high levels of behaviour and aspiration amongst all my students and to reinforce this I stringently rely on the agreed saction and reward policies that are in place. In the small niche of my classroom this works. I truly believe that whereby whole school and county council policy reflected this clarity and non-acceptance of poor behaviour the aspiration of all students in schools would be far greater. Current policy it would seem does little to reinforce high standards of behaviour and aspiration but rather contributes to a general lowering of expected standards of students behaviour and aspiration. I believe and evidence exists to support this, that where there are high expectations of attendance, uniform and behaviour there are typically high expectations (and delivery of) high levels of academic achievement.

4. Like you I believe in making students more responsible. Giving them responsibility makes them more responsible. This was the main theme of John Rutter's book "15 000 hours". Where there are form captains, prefects, extra-curricular activities and various other leadership opportunities students are better behaved. My role at school focuses on teaching and learning but an important which you have drawn out is that participation is motivating. Thanks for the reminder.

5. I couldn't agree more. I'm a supply teacher and the schools I go to always have a handful of childrfen with "medical" reasons for poor behaviour. Bad behaviour is expected even while not being accepted . Some schools with strong leadership have a better atmosphere for learning but even there, a minority of children in a class prohibit the learning of the majority. We need to have proper authority, should not be expected to entertain the children, and the disruptive children should be removed from the class and taught elsewhere. If they have these "medical disorders" they should be taught in Special Schools.
    How do I physically copy your thread to send to Michael Gove? You have set out all my thoughts very clearly. Thank you.

6. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

The link below

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8148804/New-clampdown-on-school-exclusions.html

which I copied from a post this morning on Opinion confirms:

i) that society remains in total denial on the subject
    ii) that despite a lot of posturing by the new Education Secretary he and his conDem government colleagues have no intention whatsoever of confronting the problem. So it will be at least 5 more years of ever worsening behaviour in the classrooms of England.

The fact that in the 9 hours since this was posted I am the only one to comment there further highlights

iii) that the majority of English teachers are in denial on this subject.

I´m counting the months to retirement.

7. angry jedi: just wanted to say your post is excellent-- accurate, organized and comprehensive. Hope the campaign gets somewhere--- but I'm afraid the problem is that no-one knows what to do about the loss of social values. NO-ONE.

8. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

As a contribution to the debate about the problems outlined in detail in the OP, the above counts either as a joke or as an insult.

9. feather

feather New commenter

Hello All
    Somewhere in 2001 a report was written by a Gilson or Geeson which said EBD children should be kept within county or LEA to reduce costs. That became keep them in school because of cost.
    Lets extapolate the concept of cost:-
    Cost to whom?
    Who has had bourne the burden of that cost cutting measure?
    Was it the Gilson or Geeson who wrote that report? was it the Labour government who commissioned that report? or was it the people who were subject to that report?
    I am currently claiming from the CICA re the costs to me of the criminal behaviour going on at Blurton . This school has now closed and all records of its failed OFSTED's have been expunged. Try searching for Blurton High School and see what happens. It is no longer in existence. The Head teacher Balukawitch who drew public money while there were open riots going on in the school has gone. FINALLY and the corrupt LEA and its vile HR people have had their wings well and truely clipped.
    What is really needed is a CALL FOR A PUBLIC ENQUIRY into the effect of keeping violent pupils in schools. With those who have suffered attacks properly compensated for government failures.
    I for one am retraining in law and will push for this to happen.

10. "I for one am retraining in law and will push for this to happen."
    Good for you, feather! Good luck.

11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Notice that when that supply teacher recorded what was really going on and the GTC punished her, the union leader Steve Simcott effectively sided with the GTC, instead of taking the opportunity to encourage all teachers to do this.

12. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Yes; Alex Dolan- one the GTC's defining moments, where it revealed how craven and anti- teacher it had become.

13. Very interesting to see that N O T H I N G has changed since Angry Jedi's original post! Is this surprising!

14. Four years have gone by and there is absolutely no change whatsoever!

15. You know what I think and I know people will say 'not another conspiracy theory'? We all know the problems in school and how they have occurred because everything in the original post holds true. Therefore, the govt. know too. In fact everyone knows. Ask any parent. Ask the man in the street. Don't ask children's charities because they only worry about children with problems not children who are desperately trying to be 'normal'. For the sake of a few mal-adjusted children the whole system of education for the well-adjusted children is allowed to go down the pan. Why? It is being allowed to happen 'they' are all allowing it to happen. What is the hidden agenda? What are we missing? Is this deliberate? Is this hegemony in the making? Will we all start to consider this normal and accept it before the govt. reveal why they are allowing mob rule? Why are they ignoring us? What do we need to do to create the ethos I grew up in where children behaved because real deterrents made them behave? I have never agreed with corporal punishment but as the years go by I can see a case for it.

16. You poor ***. It's been a long time since I suffered in the UK system. I am now in my fourth country teaching and allow me to reaffirm my position: you lot are all on your own with your decrepid "education system." Nowhere else in the world has problems remotely approaching that of the UK.
    As I have previously said. Petitions such as this will have no effect whatsoever. The only way to improve the lot for the whole country is:
    1. SUE THEM! Preferably as part of a class action.
    2. PUT PRESSURE ON YOUR UNIONS TO TAKE INDUSTRIAL ACTION ON A LARGE SCALE.
    3. GET THE MEDIA INVOLVED
    All, this "dear Tom" **** will only lead you down the path of some of the poor, psychologically frail, "teachers" that I have witnessed in the UK.
    Sue them.

17. Tom_Bennett

And Merry Christmas to you, too. [​IMG]

18. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

1. ... and never teach again.
    2. ... but they are too busy arguing for extra pay while the rest of the country faces job cuts; no wonder teachers are so unpopular!
    3. ... and forget the fact that the media is a large part of the problem teachers face today.

I agree with your sentiments, Tangchao, and many other teachers do too. But 'Dear Tom' seems to be one of the few things on our side at the moment, and many of us are grateful for that.
    It's the current system that's ****, not 'Dear Tom'!
    Happy Christmas, Tom - and thank you! [​IMG]

19. casper

casper New commenter

Rang a parent to complain about childs poor behaviour on the school bus. Later that evening said parernt arrives in our staffroom where I was on my ow. he shouted at me and threatned my job, tried to get me there and there to put eeverything in writing which I refused to do.Same child is still playing up months later.

20. Tom_Bennett

Thanks, BB; and a happy Christmas to you too [​IMG]