1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A call to action against poor behaviour in schools and the prevalence of useless "policies" preventing teachers doing their job

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by angry jedi, Nov 7, 2006.

1. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

The point of discussions is to see how and where others disagree with you, Raymond. These are my opinions, I'm inviting others to agree or disagree with them, hence my comment:

"(If anyone agrees, please say so, if not I'm happy to discuss different views)."
    I think its important to be open-minded, I have changed my opinion on things before - most adults have when they hear a view they've not considered.
    As I said:
    1. There is a problem in some UK schools with pupil behaviour.
    2. This problem is made worse by people appeasing the pupils and looking for excuses to blame the teacher for the appalling pupil behaviour.
    3. Damaging or stealing school/ teacher property, insulting/ abusive/ threatening behaviour and assaults can all be described as criminal? (I have legally arrested people for all these, so know it is. In fact, saying or doing anything that the victim finds alarming or distressing is harassment, arrestable on the second occasion if warned first time). All this is the case anywhere (including at work).
    4. The above criminal behaviour is dismissed as 'misbehaviour' in some schools and swept under the carpet, ie not dealt with seriously. (Detention, possibly exclusion).
    5. Crimes that occur in schools (see above) are rarely reported to the police - some SMT in some schools talk teachers out of reporting such crimes?
    6. Pupils constantly getting away with serious misbehaviour (crimes), without any meaningful sanction makes the situation worse for teachers, ie awful working conditions?

I am sure there are people on TES who disagree - I can see the validity in the view that some teachers make behaviour problems in their classes worse with their conduct and poor lesson planning. However I think this is over-used.
    Any views on 1-6 - anyone who disagrees prepared to say why?

2. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

This is true. The message of the OP, ie what was said in the OP, concerns me. I know this is what someone said in November 2006 but think it is still the case in some schools. Hence me concern.
    'The OP' means 'The Opening Post', not 'The Opening Poster'. I can see why this is confusing, but my concern is for the message, not the poster. Hope this helps.
    Now this is not true, is it? I have posted what I believe are real proposals that you agreed with. Why lie? (See post 13, below).
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/440697.aspx?PageIndex=2
    Rushing off to the police when an SEBD pupil 'gets a bit stroppy?' You see criminal behaviour as 'getting stroppy?' I see refusing to work, refusing to follow reasonable instructions, sulking as 'getting stroppy'. This behaviour should be dealt with by the classroom teacher IMO (see link above). I only think the police should be involved, if th eteacher wishes, if a teacher's personal property has been deliberately damaged by a pupil, for example. As described in the OP (opening post). If you disagree with this then thats your opinion which you're entitled to. Mine differs to yours, which I'm entitled to do too.

I know posters have advised I ignore James' personal, abusive posts, but the above is a bit laughable. As a teacher I was interested in what happens in schools. As a parent of school-aged children I'm even more interested in what teachers (and James) think about what should happen in schools. I don't think education should just be discussed by teachers as many parents care too.

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

James comes across as very smug, arrogant, complacent, self righteous, closed minded, blinkered and rude.
    He seems to appear on threads for the sole purpose of telling some posters that they are wrong, their views belong in the past and being rude to them. As is often the case with posters like James useful advice (or even some form of point) doesn't seem to be often forthcoming.
    The best thing about him is the amusing way in which having been rude to people he scrambles from the moral high ground (bleating and whining all the while) if they respond to his rudeness in kind. He dishes it out but can't take it.
    "I won't respond to your aggressive/defensive rudeness blah blah blah"
    Well perhaps James, if you weren't so smug, arrogant, irritating, rude and annoying people would not feel the need to be rude to you.

4. He does seem to be inclined to provoke people. I am unsure why as I suspect he has alot of useful knowledge and practical advice which I would be more than happy to read.