1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A*-C in maths- National figures over the years

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MasterMaths, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Does anyone know, or have access to, the national stats for pupils achieving A*-C in their maths GCSE for, say, the past 5 years (or even more)? The icing on the cake would also be what the national target was for those particular years.
    In case I'm not wording it very clearly, I'd ideally like to know that, say, 51% of pupils achieved an A*-C against a target of 53%.
    I've been hunting around but no joy - if anyone could help, it would be much appreciated!

2. I do not think that you will find National Targets

I like the BBC for results

3. One of the first places I looked at was the BBC site - but I can only see figures for 5 A*-C including Maths and English ... will look again later though. Perhaps I was going blind? (I'm adding the finishing touches to my QTS folders before my final assessment in a couple of days, so I'm also going slightly doo-lally!!!)

4. Molesworth2

Molesworth2 New commenter

5. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

2010 58.4
    2009 57.2
    2008 56.3
    2007 55.2
    2006 54.3
    2005 53.4
    2004 51.7
    2003 50.2
    2002 51.3
    2001 50.1
    2000 49.2
    1999 48.1

6. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

7. Thank you Molesworth and strawbs ... you're both superstars!!

8. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

So it's not true that GCSE results have gone up year on year......

What happened in 2003?

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

teaching was particularly poor that year from what i remember

10. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

In another 40 years (or so), we'll all be so good at teaching that the figure will reach 100%...

11. Rubbish Mike
    It was obviously because there were no big sporting events to hinder kids revision. I blame the Football World Cup the year before and the Olympics the year afterwards.
    I expect in 2012 when the Olympics are here kids will bee too excited in anticipation and not revise......therefore lower grades
    Ohhhhh hang on, does that mean the papers has to be easier <strike>again</strike> next year to ensure we make progress?

12. cach9801

cach9801 New commenter

We'll soon get Gove's goal of all schools being in the top 50% nationally!! :)

13. DM

DM New commenter

He did actually say that today - although disappointingly he did add that they need to be in the top 50% AS IT IS NOW not in the future.
    Edit: I just corrected a typo - hurrah!

14. That was the cohort most affected by Chernobyl!

(I don't know if thats really the explanation but I do remember a reliable source once telling me that IQ's for that group were lower than average - so it would fit)

15. So not quite as bad as Blunkett's 'every child must be better than average' ...