1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A budget question

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by milpin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I am newly appointed HoD and started in January. By the time I arrived, the budget had been spent. The reason for this, a new course was started in September and therefore, textbooks and teacher's material had to be ordered. This hadn't been planned in the budget request by the previous HoD who left in July and it 'feels' as I can't pin down exactly who said we should start this new course, but it could well be the HT. And so, the buget money has been used for the new course.
    Can you tell me if I am exaggerating but surely if a new course is going to be introduced by the 'school' (HT) then the relevant department should get extra funding surely? Or would it be possible that the school pay for it rather than have it billed on our departmental budget?

2. I am newly appointed HoD and started in January. By the time I arrived, the budget had been spent. The reason for this, a new course was started in September and therefore, textbooks and teacher's material had to be ordered. This hadn't been planned in the budget request by the previous HoD who left in July and it 'feels' as I can't pin down exactly who said we should start this new course, but it could well be the HT. And so, the buget money has been used for the new course.
    Can you tell me if I am exaggerating but surely if a new course is going to be introduced by the 'school' (HT) then the relevant department should get extra funding surely? Or would it be possible that the school pay for it rather than have it billed on our departmental budget?

3. Depends on what sort of new course it is. In English, we all had new specs starting this year. I've decided to buy the prose this year and the plays next year that we need, thus spreading the cost and still giving me money for this year. if the course is entirely new and in addition to courses already run, then, the budget should have been increased. Your bursar-type person will be able to give you the figures for the financial year.

4. In my school it would come out of the department budget, but there'd also be consideration for it, perhaps when the budget was set, or in the provision of extra money this year. Either way, it's now irrelevant. I am in a similar position, the previous HoD had spent most of the budget when I took over in January. However, I've been taking every advantage of the honeymoon period in my position as a new HoD and putting budget requests in here and there, making sure all of my requests have been clearly linked to the most pressing needs in terms of T&L.

5. Shutting the gate after the stable door - but have you spoken to your librarian to check the cost of all the text books s/he may well be able to get a discount (sometimes 25-30% of the cost of the book/textbook) Perhaps if this is the case you could argue the case to have the 'overspend' refunded?

6. Good to know! I will go and ask for next order!
    Thank you, [​IMG]