1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A British finalist!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Jan 28, 2011.

1. If you get the chance to see Murray being interviewed for non-british channels, he is completely different. He does a deliberately surly persona for the BBC - either he kows they hate him for not being Tim, so hates them back; or like most Scots, he was brought up with a healthy disresepct for the english media.

2. I'm with CK on this one, I think he's great.

He is, however, having a stinker today.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think there are plenty of English folk who feel that Thatcher was 'inflicted' on us too. Many of us rather feel that way about Cameron too.
    On the subject of Murray, I think he's great too. To be at the top of the game requires a certain degree of arrogance and drive. I like to see that Murray really REALLY wants it....I never felt that way watching Henman.

4. Gordon Brown.

5. Sorry to have attributed you with the quote, Eva.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

PMSL!!!!!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I see that the SCOT lost in straight sets!

8. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Oh dear, what a shame, never mind.

9. Sorry, I think Murray is a miserable fart.
    Nothing to do with him being Scottish - lots of my family are.
    But he is.

10. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Just not good enough today and thoroughly outplayed - that may at least make it easier for him to accept and that he must work harder. His problem is there are still class players out there, and some teenage players are coming through. It sounds ridiculous, but at 23 he needs to get a move on!

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Well, clearly my talents as a psychic aren't what I thought they were.
    Won't be giving up my day job any time soon.
    Well done for getting to the final though, Andy.

12. Absolutely the case.

He does work hard. Good grief, you don't actually think you get to Grand Slam finals by coasting, do you? [​IMG]

Anyway, I imagine his £8.8 million prize money - and that figure does not include the swag for this latest match - must make being Andy pretty damn nice.

13. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

I wonder why coming second isn't good enough for people who see fit to criticise, after all to come second in a grand slam tournament is an awful lot more than most will ever achieve :s

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Dang!
    That's not to be sniffed at.

15. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

An idol of mine, the great Bjorn Borg, said that while it was comforting he knew he'd not have to work again after a few successes as a tennis player (because of the money), this also freed him to concentrate solely on the pinnacle of sports - winning.
    Murray has to work harder to win, and to stay a winner.
    McEnroe also put it well when he said getting to finals and, as he did, beating Borg once was great, but he would not consider himself a true champion until he regularly beat Borg.
    I think Murray would agree, and if you asked him if he'd give up loads of semi-final runs in big money tournaments for just one Grand Slam title (losing lots of money by doing so), he would say a resounding 'yes'.
    Curiously, as you may know, Borg went totally mad and quit the game just days past his 26th birthday. On Swedish tv he has admitted to drug abuse (although he did a bit of a Clinton) and basically trying to re-capture his lost youth, taken by tennis. He partied and partied....what an idol[​IMG]
    Borg is the reason many Swedes, such as myself, take additional degrees or qualifications while playing our sports as we saw what happened to him when he quit - for he had nothing else to do, he could barely read and write. (I am exaggerating, but you get the point!)
    Point being the life of a professional sportsman is not always THAT good....
    Man, what a serious post. This must be because I wake up so late on Sundays. This is all Celtic Queen's fault.

16. Off topic....
    Jonha, I didn't realise you were Swedish. So, when you said you're in Stokholm, you live there then?

17. Agreed. Well done to him. Surly sod.

18. Did you not recognise the liberal attitude to sex? Tee hee!

19. Yes, I am guilty of making you grow up. I know, I know, I know...mother syndrome. Call me cougar.

20. I did consider that a paltry 5 mins in a commercial break wasn't quite the notion I'd always had of the Swedes....