1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A book to blow me away...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lily_the_pink, Jul 22, 2012.

1. I recently read the Song of Ice and Fire books and since finishing, can't get into another book because they just don't seem to compare. I'm feeling a little frustrated! Previous to that I loved The Hunger Games and The Book Thief. Does anyone have any suggestions of something I can get sunk into please? I feel so lost without a book to fall into...

2. You might have read it already, but the book thief, kind of makes me think of 'Shadow of the wind' a fantastic book.

3. Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice series or Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion and the sequel whose name escapes me.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ann Patchett's 'State of Wonder' is brilliant.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Try "The Bellwether Revivals" by Benjamin Wood. I am currently enjoying it and can't wait to find out how it ends!

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have also recently finished "A Half Forgotten Song" by Katherine Webb and thoroughly recommend that to while away a few days.

8. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Lardylegs, I have recently read the Bellwether Revivals.
    It is fantastic and you will be surprised by the ending.

OP, have you read "The Snow Child"? I loved it and was really sad when it ended.
    "The Somnambulist" was also a very good book.
    I also enjoyed "Every Contact Leaves a Trace"

9. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

You might also like "The White Lie" Andrea Gillies

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Joseph O'Connor - The Star of the Sea

11. What kind of book do you like, OP? Easier to recommend, that way.

12. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I recently read Patrick Rothfuss's books (The Name of the Wind & The Wise Man's Fear) and I liked them in the same way I liked the Song of Ice & Fire books. I'm not a massive fan of fantasy literature but certain books really grab me and these ones definitely did. The other best books I've read lately have been Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy - you'd probably like them, from the sound of the other books you've enjoyed recently. I've also had recommendations for The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and anything by Robin Hobb - I haven't read any of them yet but I downloaded the samples onto my Kindle and they all made me want to carry on reading so that's a good sign!
    Two of my favourite books in the world (as well as The Book Thief!) are Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife and Janet Fitch's White Oleander, if you haven't read either of them. Both of them blew me away!

13. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Archangel and Fatherland, both by Robert Harris, are absorbing reads. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, if you've got time to spare. Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - strange and original. I'm reading The End of Mr Y - but weird and not the sort of thing I would usually read, but I was given it by a member of my family and felt I ought to give it a go. It's taken time but it's growing on me.

14. Oo, I recently read those. Pretty good, for that kind of thing. I thought PF was a very good yarn-spinner.

15. The night circus (Erin Morgenstern)... brilliant
    Jamrach's Menagerie (Carol Birch) The best book I have read in a long time!

Happy reading

16. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
    The Secret Life of Bees
    The Colour Purple
    The Help
    The Kite Runner
    The Red Tent

All brilliant :)))

17. Agree with all of the above but would add
    We Need toTalk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver
    Mudbound - Hillary Jordan
    Pigeon English - sorry Kindle not with me-
    The Memory keepers Daughter, Orange is the New Black, Cutting for Stone, Middlesex
    Enjoy!

18. Thank you for all the recommendations. I've gone mad on eBay and ordered them all. Lots and lots of lovely reading :)

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Wally Lamb?
    Loved it. Got a bit flabby in the 3rd quarter or so of the book (and it is a big read) but still enjoyed it immensely.