1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A book to avoid at all costs.

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by TheoGriff, Dec 18, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And how about this?
    "Once you have defined your career goals, you need to communicate your feelings and aspirations in the best possible way to prove that you are the right sort of person to be a head teacher."
    So, all you need to head up a school of, say, 1,500 pupils and 100+ staff are feelings and aspirations . . . nothing about skills, experience, etc?
    And then we are given the important questions to ask oneself:
    "You need to ask yourself these questions when you are searching for a headship post:
    Do you know what your strengths and weaknesses are?
    Are you ready to become a head teacher?
    Do your colleagues believe you are ready for a headship career?
    Can you show you have the desire and ability to be a head teacher?
    Do you have enough experience to support your application?
    Do you know what the latest education policies are?
    Do you know what type of school is the right one for you?
    Have you committed enough time researching what jobs are available irrespective of what and where they are?
    Are you fully aware that vacancies are not always available to suit your requirements?"
    The essentials! Absolutely right - you need to ask these questions!
    "When selecting a school you need to look for:
    Schools that are looking for experience, skills and the potential you possess
    Schools that are offering positions aligned to your career aspirations
    Take into consideration the different roles of headship that the school might be looking for
    Visit the schools location and ensure that you have an empathy with the local environment, are happy to relocater, or commute to the location."
    What does it all mean? What, specifically does "positions aligned to your career aspirations" mean?
    On second thoughts, I love it! I love this book - it's the best laugh I've had all week. I thought I would give it up, but am now anxious to continue reading and find more gems.
    Here's one, in the section advising you on your application.
    "It is always a good tip to include a covering letter with your application because it allows you to connect with the school on a personal level - you can refer to the school by name and also if you visited the school. A covering letter also allows you to express your personal achievements and desires why you want to work at this specific school.
    Always include a history of your career to-date in your application."
    Golly - who would have thought of that! A letter with your application, where you can refer to the school by name! Expressing your personal achievements! A history of your career!
    I am now on the chapter that deals with the Head Teacher Selection Centre.
    You know, you've heard of that, surely?
    "By attending the head teacher selection centre an aspiring head teacher is assessed to see if they have the right skills for the job and the challenges they might encounter at the school. The tasks they are given will revolve around the normal duties a head teacher would perform on a daily basis.
    The selection centre process can be very demanding and can take up to three days to complete."
    Where is this selection centre? In China or Korea? Yet elsewhere in the book, they talk of NPQH, of finding a job in the TES, etc.
    I am going to stop now, or I shall type out the whole book . . .
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. Does it say in the book about the realities?
    We should write our own, I'll start
    1. How to wee really fast because there's kids waiting outside to speak to you.
    2. How to get snot out of a top because at the Christmas play you end up with the crying kid who wants his mum
    3. How to manipulate and flirt with property services to get your toilet refurb onto the top of the list
    4. How to smile and look interested at every moan that comes your way
    5. How to retain 47 things in your head as you've walked up the corridor and 47 different things have been told to you
    6. How to get the police to come NOW because your infant PE lesson is being watched by three pot-smoking youths
    I could go on but I'll give the rest of you a turn