1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A blow for RS A level

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by delahay, Feb 6, 2011.

1. delahay

delahay New commenter

If it couldn't get any worse for RS teachers- first the Ebacc and now the Russell Group universities have left us off the list of recommended A levels. We are not a 'facillitating' subject apparently.

2. delahay

delahay New commenter

If it couldn't get any worse for RS teachers- first the Ebacc and now the Russell Group universities have left us off the list of recommended A levels. We are not a 'facillitating' subject apparently.

3. So what's a "facilitating" subject?
    If it's what I think it is, a decent RS course should be facilitating. You can't do history or literature without some understanding of religious ideas and disputes, you also can't do philosphy without an awareness of the religious contribution. As for current affairs and social science, practically every big story now has some religious element - the world has changed since the immediate post-war period.

4. not to mention politics - miss post's chosen subject - her a levels are politics, rs and history - hard to see how she could better them
    my friend's son who did not do rs is so struggling with the ethical/philosophical aspects of politics

5. at uni

6. http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/docs/subjectmatters.pdf
    Despair not. We have been there for a while as a combination choice, complementing what they then called 'keystone' subjects. i have printed off the attached link for use at parent's evening.

7. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

Here are the'facilitating' subjects on the list...

Maths English Physics Biology Chemistry Geography History Languages

RS and Philosophy aren't on it and we will be bracketed with the so called 'soft-subjects' when we are as academic as the other humanities. It just echos the EBacc situation and I really dont understand it especially as the degree of choice at Oxbridge amongst politicians is PPE.
    Does anyone have any clue why RS isnt seen a facilitating subject? What is the argument there and how have the private schools reacted as they usually value it highly as an A level?

8. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor New commenter

Forgotten? Too scary that faith might be put onto a pedestal, which wouldn't be PC? I dunno. It made me angry. That said, Philosophy A-level isn't on it, and the rigour for that is probably more than RS P&E! Arbitrary list... (and probably most 18 year olds who HAVEN'T studied philosophy couldn't define arbitrary.)

9. lam

lam

Maybe it is just the way I read the booklet, but It didn't seem to me that the facilitating subjects were necessarily the hardest, and all the others were easy options.

I thought it meant that these subjects are the ones that give a candidate good grounding in the widest choices for their degrees, whereas RS would be good preparation for a narrower range of subjects, and so is not considered to be 'facilitating' as it were. It is also not a necessary 'A' level for any degree courses.

The booklet then goes on to suggest useful A levels that students might also want to take for Religious Studies 'A' level the booklet suggests it might be useful for studying degrees in:
    English, History, History of Art, Philosophy, Theology, Teacher training.

Philosophy was also considered to be useful for degrees in Computing and Politics.

However, in contrast Film studies was not considered to be a useful 'A' level for any of the courses cited, and Media studies was only considered useful for one degree - Media Studies!

I think they are talking about 'useful' 'A' levels, not necessarily the hardest ones! Indeed, the 2008 Durham SCORE report judged RS 'A' level to be of a comparative level in difficulty to English Literature and certainly harder than English Language.

That said, I think a lot of people will get confused and think it means they're the hardest - so we may have out work cut out convincing people otherwise!