1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A bit heavy handed with the blood!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You wouldn't have thought there was that much blood in Lord Grantham's entire body. Talk about theatrical.

2. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

SPOILER!!!

gooddays likes this.
  3. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Thank God I'm doing my embroidery instead. With occasional eye-adjustment breaks on here.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I do my crochet and watch at the same time.

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I jumped out of my skin!

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

"Oooh nooooo!" (said in a wossername from The Archers accent.)

We're watching Downton on a one hour delay. I don't think I fancy lots of blood. I think I'll go to bed now. To be honest, I lost real interest in the show early on in series three. The World War One stuff was a bit silly.

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The whole thing's a bit daft really and the script writing is lazy but the frocks are nice.
    I'm seeing out til the bitter end just, well, just because.

8. cuteinpuce

Ooh. For some reason that made me think of Posh Frocks And New Trousers. I loved that show.

RedQuilt likes this.
  9. cuteinpuce

omg! The blood!

It's like Alien or something.

10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

You've just seen it then @cuteinpuce . Great isn't it?!

11. cuteinpuce

I must say that the family are reacting very well. I suspect that I'd be concerned about the stains on the carpet.

12. cuteinpuce

Did Carson just say that they performed a grasceptomy on Lord Grantham? Surely that can't be a real word? (Or possibly the second glass of red is starting to kick in...)

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I was wondering earlier on how they'd get the table linen clean

14. cuteinpuce

Blood...blood...soak in cold water, I think. (Not that I'm generally bothered by stains in stuff...)

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think he said a 'gastrectomy'. But at the end you saw Lord G in next week's episode sitting up in bed looking very fit and cosy and not at all how you'd imagine someone minus a stomach. But the past is a different country. They did things differently there.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. cuteinpuce

Hmm, that probably makes more sense.

17. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Never mind the blood stains, think about the numerous breaches of etiquette he committed by doing that at dinner!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. cuteinpuce

If you Google "Lord Grantham gastrectomy", this is one of the images that comes up.

[​IMG]

There are times when I think that the Internet isn't all that it's cracked up to be...

19. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I wondered last week over Anna's gynaecological problem...... I really wondered whether that stick procedure (which I too had to have in the 1980s) was actually an established/recognised procedure..... I wouldn't have thought so really..... anyone know?

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

NHS Choices says there are 4 types of gastrectomy: total, partial, sleeve or oesophagastrectomy. But probably in those days they just whipped the whole thing out.