1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

A banker I like!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Nov 25, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

November 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Bonuses don’t make bankers work harder, says Deutsche’s John Cryan
    James Shotter in Frankfurt, Laura Noonan in London and Ben McLannahan in New York.
    [​IMG]©Reuters
    John Cryan

For most leaders, admitting they do not understand something is a no-no. But notDeutsche Bank’s new co-chief executive John Cryan — at least when it comes to the bonus culture and his own pay packet.

“I have no idea why I was offered a contract with a bonus in it because I promise you I will not work any harder or any less hard in any year, in any day because someone is going to pay me more or less,” he told a conference in Frankfurt.
    He then went on to say that he cannot understand why people who are already over-paid would work any harder for a bonus. London bankers have as one would expect taken umbrage.

Eureka! likes this.
  2. FairyHoneyPeaches

FairyHoneyPeaches Occasional commenter

I like my bank.

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Scintillant has posted about this more generally.

4. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

It's a myth that bankers generally get large bonuses these days. Many who work in the City are contractors and get none at all, and the rest generally get it to make their salaries up to what the contractors are getting. It's only the big bosses, who are generally losers who get these big payouts we see.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This was in yesterdays FT.
    When did Scintillant post?

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He did several posts about monetary reward not being a good incentivise. There was research.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I dislike my bank now - they're changing them all to horrible open-plan areas with the only way to get cash out or put money in being by machine - HUGE ATM screens with MASSIVE buttons - like playing arcade computer games. The only way to talk to - dunno what they'll be called - ex-tellers, is at teeny tiny little deskettes with mini computer screens on them, or for more private conversation, there will be 'pods'.

Yecch.

8. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

It's the 21St century. Few people have any need to visit a bank and even less need to chat to counter staff.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

True ... last time I went in to the counter it was to pay in my 'pennies' collection [yeah yeah I know]

Although there did seem to be a queue of business people paying in takings. So not sure if the counter is completely moribund.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

They are gently (for now) trying to push us into a cashless society.
    For undisclosed reasons they 'seem' to want to restrict our access to our cash, I wonder sometimes if there is a hidden liquidity crisis. I was told by my bank that to draw a large sum of cash I would have to give them at least 24 hours notice.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Isn't that just because they don't actually keep huge amounts of cash on site and they need to order it in?

12. monicabilongame

I need cash - to pay for parking when out meeting clients, to pay for coffees for clients, to buy lunch whilst on the hoof, etc. I get through a lot of cash in a week. There is no way I am going to pay by card for piddling small amounts - especially as that gives a higher possibility of getting a card cloned.

lizziescat likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't like the fact that to make an appointment to speak to someone at my branch I have to call another number and quote a security number (which I don't think I ever had) so it's actually necessary to go in to the branch anyway and do it there.

14. VanEyssen

For many transactions not using cash if the most convenient.
    There are fewer people doing than now since you can pay by card for piddling amounts. When your card is in your possession, cloning is unlikely,
    Maybe. I haven't been to my branch for over 30 years; it's over 150 mies away,

15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

But when something goes wrong I need to go and throw a strop in person. (For example when my bank lost a cheque from the sale of a house) You can't throw a strop with a call centre in India, which only has the facility to offer loans, mortgages or insurance etc. anyway.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. monicabilongame

I am also not doing that swipe card thing either. Don't trust it.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What about that one where you just have to tap your card... very odd... don't trust that!

18. VanEyssen

It's very convenient for buying drinks.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well if it helps with acquiring alcohol it can't be all bad.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

LOL.:D
    If only I had huge amounts, this was for 7k.